A Hitch in Time: Writings from the London Review of Books

A Hitch in Time: Writings from the London Review of Books

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

It reminded me of an old advert that was about Electric Pylons and a frisbee that had become stuck in one. His grave lies beside the racecourse outside Goose Green, surrounded by a traditional white paling fence, within sight both of the Darwin cemetery (latest occupant, sadly, a young man who drowned only a couple of weeks back, while transporting horses) and of the nearby Argentinian Cemetery (pop.

A Hitch in Time · LRB 22 November 2021 Sam Kinchin-Smith | A Hitch in Time · LRB 22 November 2021

Accepting lifts that put him in dangerous and surreal scenarios, Andy's 72,000-mile road trip stands as a unique record of bohemian life in the late 1970s and early 80s. But an arguably more daring defence of free speech rests, implicit, in a 1995 piece on the Oklahoma bombing.

Familiar bêtes noires – Kennedy, Nixon, Kissinger, Clinton – rub shoulders with lesser-known preoccupations: P. We do need more of that, not just in terms of pointing out all the emperors without clothes for Climate change, but for those who would heighten tensions between nuclear states while the doomsday clock ticks ever closer to midnight.

Hitchens: Safe and unsafe - The Critic Magazine Hitchens: Safe and unsafe - The Critic Magazine

Featuring Jeff Rawle (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire) as Sniffy Kemp, the teacher out to spoil everybody's fun, A Hitch in Time is a riotous re-telling of history. Edgar Hoover, meanwhile, is introduced by allegory with a Prussian colonel in Buchan’s Greenmantle , whose furtive interest in “soft lacy things” was “the compliment to his bluff brutality”. For somebody with that kind of background, my co-caffeinator said in no uncertain terms, you would have expected him to have had more sympathy for small communities and/or oppressed minorities just wanting to be left in peace. Hitchens—a longtime Marxist who argued vigorously in favor of the Iraq War, although today the thing about him that would mark him as a pariah is the column in which he contended women are not funny—struck so many difficult positions that he gave absolutely everyone grounds to hate him, and yet the opposite happened. I sympathise with Schlesinger almost as much as with Mervyn Jones in this instance, because the task of keeping pace with his own protean story is indeed a daunt­ing one.

Indeed, it was at once reported that Jeanne Kirkpatrick, Reagan’s UN ambassador and a leading apologist for anti-Communist dictatorships, had graced an Argentine diplomatic reception on the very night of the invasion. I tried to bare with it as I'd already turned off two other bad films, but I just couldn't watch it all the way through. He covered this period, what’s more, from Washington, whither he had been poached by The Spectator— and whence, one feels, much else then also later flowed.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop