The Proudest Blue: A Story of Hijab and Family

The Proudest Blue: A Story of Hijab and Family

RRP: £7.99
Price: £3.995
£3.995 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Author Guy Bass introduces SCRAP, about one robot who tried to protect the humans on his planet against an army of robots. Now the humans need his... Inspired by the experiences of Olympic medallist Ibtihaj Muhammad, this is a beautiful and powerful story about the bond shared between siblings and being proud of yourself and your beliefs.

Show students the front cover and the front endsheets. What do you already know? What are you wondering? Night Mayor Franklefink has vanished from the Transylvanian Express - and it's up to you to solve the case! Part of the Solve Your Own Mystery seri... My family reads all the Goodreads-award-nominated picture books every year. This is book #18 (of 20) of 2019, and we liked it. It was written By Olympic medalist, social activist (and hijab-wearing!) athlete Ibtihaj Muhammed with the help of (writer) She. K. Ali, illustrated by Hetem Aly. Olympic medalist and social justice activist Ibtihaj Muhammad. The Proudest Blue is the simple story of a girl choosing her first hijab and wearing it to school for the first time, accompanied by her adoring little sister. There might not be a story at all, were it not for the ugly truth of Islamophobic bullying that wearing hijab can unleash. To go beyond just stating the problem and solution in the book, I make sure to pose questions that will get students thinking about their effects. How do the characters handle the conflict? What character traits do they demonstrate? How do they grow or change? What can we take away from the resolution? How does it connect to the theme of the book? Before Reading:Connect:If you have ever seen a sibling or friend teased, you may have an idea of how Faizah feels. What are some things you can say to support a friend who is teased? During Reading Think about the conflict and resolution. What message do you think the author wants us to take away from this book? Booklist Editors' Choice: Books for Youth, 2019". Booklist. January 1, 2020 . Retrieved 2021-10-29. This sensitive representation of family relationships that provide a loving coat of armor against the world’s difficulties is memorable and inspiring. Bullies are depicted as faceless shadows, emphasizing the importance of discounting what they say…Triumphant and true” — Kirkus (Starred Review) In this book, sisters Asiy and Faizah are celebrating the first day of wearing hijab. Other kids don't understand, but Faizah is proud of the strength and beauty of her hijab and the way that it represents their Muslim faith and culture. Before Reading

I have some great books I’m working on right now for 2021, for example In My Mosque, written be Mindy Yuksel, will be published by HarperCollins, and it is so sweet! As for books coming out in 2020 there will be The UK edition of The Proudest Blue with Andersen Press, another set of Yasmin books, Raj’s Rule by Lana Button with Owl Kids, and the fifth book of the Unicorn Rescue Society series!Look at the facial expressions of the characters in the illustrations. How are you feeling? Can you draw some faces that show different expressions and emotions? When Faizah’s classmate questions what Asiya is wearing, she worries about her sister. Faizah hears hurtful comments made to Asiya by children who don’t understand why she is wearing a hijab. Faizah admires her sister’s beautiful blue hijab and doesn’t understand why some children don’t understand its beauty and strength.

The Proudest Blue: A Story of Hijab and Family follows sisters Asiya and Faizah. Asiya is celebrating her first day of wearing a hijab. Although most kids in their class are struggling to understand, Faizah and Asiya are proud of what the hijab represents in their Muslim faith and culture. Connect:Many people wear special head wear or clothing representing their faith. What is the purpose of wearing special clothing? Why is it never okay to tease someone for their differentness or the way they are dressed? ActivitiesWe’d love to hear more about your journey while illustrating this important book. As an Egyptian-born Muslim illustrator, how did you connect to the themes on a personal level? We typically choose stories with obvious problems and solutions when we teach conflict and resolution. But it’s also important for students to practice this skill with stories where it’s not as evident. For some students, the conflict and resolution in The Proudest Blue will be harder to identify. Again, nice sentiments and art, like fellow nominee Sulwe that I just read, but I really feel odd about any religion that tells people how to dress in their daily life (and I'm looking at you Mormon underwear, Amish hats, Roman Catholic school uniforms, Jewish yarmulkes, etc.), especially considering that in the Garden of Eden story clothing seems to be a human construct whereas God apparently would rather have us all be nude.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop