Any Man

Any Man

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Ten years ago, I was having a beer with a friend after work and a few hours later, I was violently assaulted and left for dead behind a dumpster. No, worse—I was left for living. My assaulter wanted me to live through what I had experienced. It was a gesture of torture, a most excruciating gift.

Any Man by Amber Tamblyn - Publishers Weekly Any Man by Amber Tamblyn - Publishers Weekly

Still, from this forced break, she was able to absorb copious amounts of media that would then inform the chapters of her book. Like a short one that’s written as a transcript of a cable-news provocateur show, modeled on “Nancy Grace,” where the four commentators callously discuss the rape case of the first victim, a man named Donald Ellis. What You Need to Know: This is a story about the male victims of a serial rapist known only as "Maude". So just know going into this book that the subject matter is graphic and intense. Also carve out the time to read this book cover to cover because once you start, you won't be able to put it down. We hear ALL the time how a woman shouldn't have worn that short skirt or dressed herself up like that if she didn't want the attention. How she was just asking for it. In this novel, we hear about how he shouldn't have gotten drunk at the bar while his wife was at home with the kids. What was he thinking? STOP VICTIMIZING THE VICTIMS FURTHER. How many of you think men CAN'T get raped? Why do we, as a society, blame the victim, use them as the story of the day and then toss them aside when something more horrifying comes alone?

It’s not something men think about very often. Or ever. What it’s like to walk through a parking garage by yourself. Or to the store across the street at night. Or needing to watch your drink in public spaces. The book is woven together with poetry, prose, journal entries, radio show dialogue, tweets and dating app chats and monologues and erratic thoughts. You live within the characters as they speak; you watch the news, you read the tweets, you see the texts. It's a sobering experience that shows you just how awful we are online. You are on the outside looking in, taking you away from your own timelines and newsfeeds, and forcing you to see how we behave as a group from a clearer, more distant perspective.

Any Man: A Novel - Kindle edition by Tamblyn, Amber

Yandoli, Krystie Lee (March 5, 2019). "Amber Tamblyn Isn't Voting For Bernie Sanders In The Primary Because She's Excited About The Women Candidates". BuzzFeed News. And something about these crimes that have been present in our world since we climbed up out of the primordial ooze being put into this context, putting them on men, made them real for me. They were unique instances of horror and violation that felt more believable because they happened to men. And yes, in a way that's horrible. My own experience became more valid to me because I looked at it happening to people who aren't usually the victims, who to my mind shouldn't be the victims, and felt all the horror and anger and lust for justice. I know for a fact I won't stop thinking about this book for a long time. It does what good fiction is meant to do: challenges me to re-consider my views, my responses, my gut reactions through creative, fresh prose and storytelling.let it be known that i am not (usually) squeamish with my literature; i am not penalizing the author for daring to tell a gritty story, for structuring said story uniquely, or for giving the victims in the novel the liberty to be realistic/multifaceted/unlikable. believe me i need no intro to unlikable protagonists -- they're my bread & butter. While this book does come with a pretty big trigger warning - Maude's crimes are abhorrent and rival those of Josef Fritzl in sheer sociopathy - Tamblyn thankfully avoids describing the assaults in great detail. She takes great care to remain respectful of the victims - who are fictional, yes, but represent the millions of women and men who will experience rape in their lifetime. The story is told through an odd mix of narrative, stream-of-consciousness, poetry, personal diaries, talk show transcripts, podcasts, tweets, and even a last will and testament. Sometimes these various pieces of media have a special significance to a specific survivor, providing depth, nuance, and a sense of uniqueness to his voice and perspective. The result is weird, at first, but ultimately quite powerful and compelling.

Any Man Audiobook Libro.fm | Any Man Audiobook

I'm not smart enough by half to start giving some intellectual social commentary on this book. I can't talk about the feminist mystique or empowerment or use any of the buzz words. I can't even really talk about what I think Amber Tamblyn was trying to accomplish with this book. any man is an incisive, poetic, and brutal account of sexual trauma (both individual and collective) and its aftermath. it's about an unknown serial rapist named maude, and several of the men whom she hurts. maude herself is a mysterious figure, because her individual motivations are less important than the toxic rape culture which plagues survivors. A web designer begins an online flirtation with a mysterious person who later stalks and rapes the designer.

Amber Tamblyn

Galloway, Stephen (April 20, 2014). "Inside Tarantino's 'Hateful Eight' Reading: Director Reveals He's Writing Second Draft, With New Ending". The Hollywood Reporter . Retrieved February 5, 2017. Her horror film career began with the opening scene of 2002's The Ring. [2] Tamblyn also appeared in the Japan-set The Grudge 2. The film, which also stars Sarah Michelle Gellar, was released on October 13, 2006, and debuted in the #1 spot at the North American box office. [2] In August 2010, she won the Bronze Leopard at the Locarno International Film Festival for her performance in the title role of Stephanie Daley. The film, which also won an award at the 2006 Sundance Film Festival, features Tamblyn as a 16-year-old who kills her baby moments after giving birth in the bathroom of a ski resort. [2] She was also nominated for Best Actress at the Independent Spirit Awards. The film also stars Tilda Swinton and Timothy Hutton. Not only is this the best book I've read in 2023, it's one of the best books I've read in my L I F E. Book Genre: Contemporary, Crime, Dark, Feminism, Fiction, Horror, Mystery, Mystery Thriller, Poetry, Thriller In 2007, she co-founded Write Now Poetry Society, dedicated to creating unique and quality poetry programming. The non-profit has a long history with The Getty Museum, curating poetry events in conjunction with art openings, such as 2011's Dark Blushing, featuring new poems commissioned by poets Patricia Smith and NEA fellow Jeffrey McDaniel, based on works of art by Dante Gabriel Rossetti and William Blake. [31] Since 2011, Tamblyn has reviewed books of poetry by women for iconic feminist magazine, BUST Magazine. [32] James Woods allegation and Hasidic incident [ edit ]

Any Man by Amber Tamblyn | Goodreads

She is one of the founders of the non-profit organization Time's Up, which was created to combat workplace sexual harassment. [48] She is also a feminist. [49] In 2019, Penguin Random House published a collection of her cultural criticism and memoir essays, "Era of Ignition; Coming of Age in a Time of Rage and Revolution."

Warning for anyone unaware - this is extremely triggering content. I had to set the book down at least a dozen times and walk away. It messed me up in more ways than one. But it's also one of the most stunningly written and expertly told books I've ever come across. Next time someone asks me my favourite book of all time, I’ll have a hard time not saying this one. Like Sebastian White, a gay Libertarian opinion writer who hates feminists and liberals and goes on and on about what a unicorn he is being a gay man in the alt-right movement. Get ready to hold your breath. Amber Tamblyn’s Any Man is a genre-bending gender-bending brilliant blow torch of a debut novel amplifying the complexities of sexual violence and the radical costs of survival. At the center of the novel is a serial rapist named Maude who reduces the men in her path to objects of prey. We’re not used to thinking of this equation, and that’s the point. This is the story of a monstrous woman made from the darkness inside all of us, a woman who meets patriarchy head-on and shreds it, leaving men traveling the journey that women must make every day of their lives--not the hero’s journey, but the victim’s. Not to emerge heroic and victorious, but to emerge from shame and violence with empathy, compassion, and the radical ability to endure together. This book changes everything.” — Lidia Yuknavitch, bestselling author of THE BOOK OF JOAN

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop