The Firm: A Novel

The Firm: A Novel

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Joey Morolto gives Mitch an offer he can't refuse – if Mitch defends his best friend from a murder charge, the McDeeres and the Moroltos will be square; As Abby tries to save her mother's charity from a crooked accountant, she makes an unexpected realization about herself. A violent surfacing of adolescence (which has little in common with Tarkington's earlier, broadly comic, Seventeen) has a compulsive impact. Working with Lomax's secretary and lover, Tammy Hemphill, Mitch obtains several confidential documents from the firm's bank records in the Cayman Islands, eventually copying over 10,000 documents detailing over 20 years of illegal transactions. Mitch tells Tarrance that while these documents spell out only a fraction of the firm's criminal activities, they contain enough evidence to indict roughly half the firm's active members and several retired partners. However, the documents will also provide strong circumstantial evidence that the firm is part and parcel of a criminal conspiracy. This will give the FBI probable cause to obtain a search warrant for the firm's building and with it, access to all of the firm's dirty files. Mitch is certain those files will provide enough evidence for a massive RICO indictment that will bring down the firm and cripple the Morolto family.

Abby is never developed beyond the 'typical, generic female character'. Almost every time she's mentioned, it's either in the context of a domestic issue (e.g. 'thinking about babies') or with reference to her beauty. Now, I have nothing against female characters being feminine or wanting children, but combined with the above, it's clear Grisham doesn't (or didn't) know how to write female characters. Starting at the top, I do have to say that while each of the characters were genuine and true-to-life, they were hardly engaging. Told in a round robin way via multiple, omniscient POVs, every perspective was covered. At the same time, though, it was delivered in a someway dry manner that kept me from really connecting with any of them along the way. Don’t get me wrong, I was rooting for Mitch and Abby every step of their journey, but their sense of desperation was missing just a tad. The Street Lawyer (TV 2003)". IMDb.com. Archived from the original on November 12, 2011 . Retrieved May 30, 2011.VII. Eddie Lomax: An ex-con and a prison friend of Ray. He works as a private investigator for Mitch who is later murdered by one of Moroltos gunmen. Fox, David J. (July 20, 1993). "Weekend Box Office: So Far, This Is Summer to Beat". The Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on 2012-07-15 . Retrieved 2011-01-10.

This adaptation is a simplified text designed in association with world famous educational publishers, to provide a step-by-step approach to the joys of reading for pleasure. The series include original stories, contemporary titles based on today's best-selling media hits, and easily accessible versions of the literary classics from around the world. Each book has an introduction and extensive activity material. They are published at different levels for readers of all skill levels.

Customer Reviews

I appreciated the business humor in dialogues, and the sarcasm. Grisham writes great, down-to-earth dialogue that forms characters into real people. I laughed a lot with the dialogue. For example, the main character, Mitchell McDeere tells his wife she has to do all this stuff to hide from both the Mob and the FBI, run here, change this, do that. He tells her she needs to dye her hair blonde. Instead of freaking out or moving fast in anticipation of being murdered, she says, “Blonde!” This developed her character and made me laugh, made me feel like I knew her, like when you shake your head and smile about someone and say to yourself, “Abby,” with affection. Mitch isn’t the only person involved in his plan. He also gets help from his wife and Eddie Lomax’s previous secretary, Tammy. Even at the end Wayne Tarrance, a FBI agent, is baffled at Tammy’s involvement in the plan: “I have a question”, Wayne asked her. “Where did he find you? This would have been impossible without you.” a b "NBC Confirms 'The Firm' Cancellation, Wipes Reality Slate Clean". The Futon Critic. May 13, 2012 . Retrieved May 15, 2012. II. Abby McDeere: Wife of Mitch and a school-teacher at a prominent school. She is stressed by the long-working hours and the truth of the firm, but eventually helps Mitch escape. Ever heard when snobs call romance novels nothing more but wish fulfilment for women? Well I present you with a wish fulfillment for a young to middle age men!

Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me! Not My Job: Legal Thriller Author John Grisham Gets Quizzed On (Men's) Briefs After a few months Mitch is approached by the FBI who tell him that the firm is a front for a ruthless Mafia family. Mitch is expected to help the FBI to bring this family to justice or else find himself in a whole lot of trouble. Mitch's decision to work with the Moroltos angers the FBI, but he reminds them that the evidence he has provided is enough to make a RICO case and ensure that the firm's senior members go to prison for a long time. The film ends with the McDeeres returning to Boston in their old car. Ray, now with Tammy, enjoys his new life in the Caymans with the money Mitch obtained for him.

Seidman, Robert (August 22, 2011). "The Firm Begins Production; Tricia Helfer and Shaun Majumder Join As Guest Stars". tvbythenumbers.com. Archived from the original on January 18, 2012 . Retrieved January 3, 2012. Advertising - Television - Specialty - Schedules - Mystery". Shaw Media . Retrieved February 10, 2012. a b c d e Maerz, Melissa (December 28, 2011). "TV Review: The Firm". Entertainment Weekly. Archived from the original on January 11, 2012 . Retrieved January 3, 2012. It all changes one day when McDeere is having lunch at Lansky’s Deli. Special Agent Wayne Tarrance of the FBI approaches him and gives McDeere three pieces of advice and an offer he soon discovers he can’t ignore.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop