Humans of New York (Humans of New York, 1)

£12.5
FREE Shipping

RRP: £25.00
Price: £12.5
£12.5 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

This makes it seem as if a particular problem, like homelessness or addition, is personal, and not social. I never got the job at United Nations though, it's a dream job, as it involves interacting with people from different cultures. This is a must-read book if you love “The Big Apple” or want to see and know more about human behavior and emotions.

Some street photographers hide behind phone booths like paparazzi so their subject won't be aware of their presence, but for Stanton it's precisely that awkward interaction, the tearing down of the wall between strangers, that he covets. The street background is consistent across each photo in the spread, as is the focus in each quote on what the individual is proud of: the subject on the left is proud of his guitar artistry, the subject in the top right is very proud and protective of her daughter, and the subject in the bottom right is proud of their model girlfriend. My favorite story depicts a young girl walking through her hurricane-damaged neighborhood with hat, flowered raingear, colorful boots and her trick or treat Halloween pumpkin.The project soon evolved, however, when Stanton started having conversations with his subjects and including small quotes and stories alongside his photographs. A wondrous mix of races, ages, genders, and social classes, and on virtually every page is a surprise. I want to be a diplomat, and travel, and do all sorts of things that have nothing to do with being disabled. edition, 1st printing) Very large, squarish, very heavy book, smooth white covers, six color photos on front, nine on back, 428 glossy pages, color on every page. Stanton’s approach to writing with photographs is a refined art that he has mastered over the years, an art deeply appreciated.

At the same time, though, I’ve flipped through these photos enough that many of the subjects have become familiar faces. I still flip through it when I want to decompress, and I find myself making references to it all the time. With over 500 vibrant, full-color photos, Humans of New York: Stories is an insightful and inspiring collection of portraits of the lives of New Yorkers. So five stars for Brandon Stanton's photographs, and a mere three stars for their physical presentation.I finally broke down and asked for it after a semester spent squinting at HONY art through the lens of Google Images in the back of my ninth grade journalism class.

The widow clad in entirely neon rainbow colors who’d “love to meet someone” but isn’t willing to change anything about herself to do it. The book itself contains ethnic backgrounds dedicated a full page in regards to religion holiday captured from a stranger perspective. In HONY, there is often a caption with only a sentence or two while HONY: Stories, each story was usually a paragraph long. Consider, instead, the ease of the boy’s sneakers against the sidewalk; his shy, smirking confidence; the preternatural calm with which he occupies the space within the frame. The world learned that the most influential person in Vidal’s life was Nadia Lopez, his principal at Mott Hall, and, after subsequent HONY posts featuring Lopez, marvelled at her admirable devotion, amid the imagined grayscale of still-ungentrified Brooklyn, to boosting the spirits, and lifting the ambitions, of her students.With his second inspiring look at the residents of New York, let Brandon Stanton be your guide as he uncovers the astonishing stories of everyday people. You can change your choices at any time by visiting Cookie preferences, as described in the Cookie notice.

Albania, Algeria, American Samoa, Andorra, Angola, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Bahrain, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Benin, Bermuda, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, British Virgin Islands, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde Islands, Cayman Islands, Central African Republic, Chad, Chile, China, Colombia, Comoros, Cook Islands, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Côte d'Ivoire (Ivory Coast), Democratic Republic of the Congo, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Estonia, Ethiopia, Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas), Finland, France, French Guiana, French Polynesia, Gabon Republic, Gambia, Germany, Ghana, Gibraltar, Greece, Greenland, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guam, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macau, Macedonia, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mali, Malta, Marshall Islands, Martinique, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mayotte, Mexico, Micronesia, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Montserrat, Morocco, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, Netherlands Antilles, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niger, Niue, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Qatar, Republic of Croatia, Republic of the Congo, Reunion, Romania, Saint Helena, Saint Kitts-Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Suriname, Svalbard and Jan Mayen, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Turks and Caicos Islands, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Vatican City State, Venezuela, Virgin Islands (U. It also confirms a fact that seems to escape Stanton: that the truest thing about a person, that person’s real story, is just as often the thing withheld—the silent thing—as the thing offered. The series partnered with the nonprofit, Headstrong Project, to highlight the mental health struggles veterans experience.

Most hurtful, though, were the truncated captions, which often reduced the sentiment to jokes, or worse, mockery of the subject . You might know that this boy’s name is Vidal, and that he attends the Mott Hall Bridges Academy, in Brownsville, and that images of him, the first of which was accompanied by the somewhat noirish details of his still-short experience (“When I was nine, I saw a guy get pushed off the roof of that building right there,” he says), became widely shared sensations on Stanton’s Humans of New York blog and its attendant social-media channels earlier this year. In Stanton’s photo of the encounter, Vidal sits grinning behind the Resolute desk, the President and principal flanking him like wings.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop