For Your Own Good: The most addictive psychological thriller you’ll read this year

£6.495
FREE Shipping

For Your Own Good: The most addictive psychological thriller you’ll read this year

RRP: £12.99
Price: £6.495
£6.495 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

I was successful in securing a discharge against medical advice by the third day after they overheard me talking to some lawyers when I’d obtained phone privileges during the morning. I think they saw I was not crazy but understood my admission there was an event that escalated out of control, I was not a threat to myself or anyone, and despite the immensely stressful ordeal, I was of sound mind to put up a fight and demand my release. When I was released, the psychiatrist threatened that the discharge against medical advice meant my insurance might not cover the services rendered for the 3 days. She was terrible. For my own good, because this situation feels uncomfortable and risky, and I don’t know how to sit with that.” Whatever solution eventually arises from all of this, I believe it has to come from profound creativity based on absolute truth. Not sure that can be defined, but I know that it can be felt. The original EAP line operator, who said she was sending the police to my apartment “for [my] own good” said this would save my life and “help” me. I knew I was going to lose my job, my career, and everything, and that’s EXACTLY what happened.

For Your Own Good - Markkula Center for Applied Ethics For Your Own Good - Markkula Center for Applied Ethics

Having waded through clinical environments for years and years, it’s really hard to imagine a 180 like this, but I’m open to being wrong about that. That would be terrific. But for some reason, I just cannot see this occuring. It would shake the foundation of the entire industry to realize that “observations” are, in reality, merely projections of self–each and every time. Frances is being subjected to international pressure to see this as the English speaking world does, as necessitating child torture to obtain compliance.

Tips for offering ideas without being off-putting

There is bass and cleft, patterns and empty space, there are chords and single notes, there are various beats and breaths. One can categorize but only for simplicity sake. To be a great work one does not have to come from anyplace or anywhere and even childre’s songs and lullabies have their own special place and magic. Here, only 75,000 accessed, but probably 700,000 autistics. So most have not been accessed. Horrible, Horrible, Horrible!

For Your Own Good’ Actually Means ‘For My Own Good’ When ‘For Your Own Good’ Actually Means ‘For My Own Good’

But I absolutely agree, the psychologists and psychiatrists “see nothing wrong with child exploitation.” Covering up all forms of child exploitation, including child rape, is the primary actual societal function of our “mental health” industries, and apparently has been for over a century. At issue in the controversy over the helmet law is the problem of paternalism. Paternalism can be defined as interfering with a person's freedom for his or her own good. The word calls to mind the image of a father ("pater" in Latin) who makes decisions for his children rather than letting them make their own decisions, on the grounds that "father knows best." The principle of paternalism underlies a wide range of laws, practices, and actions„ a physician who decides what is best for a patient, a sign prohibiting swimming without a lifeguard on duty, laws against voluntary euthanasia, laws restricting the use of heroine, cocaine, marijuana and other drugs, compulsory retirement savings plans, and mandatory seat belt laws„all designed to protect our interests, whether we like it or not. For my own good, because society has clear rules and expectations about what is socially acceptable, and I can’t risk my reputation or job.” During the 5-hour emergency room waiting period I endured (after all my things had been taken away and my heart rate/blood pressure were through the roof, so they tried to subdue me with 2 Adavan), I was pressured to sign a consent form to be admitted to their psych ward on a “voluntary” basis.Nothing the child could do, or refrain from doing, made any difference. The parent would still unpredictably become enraged and the child learned to expect merciless punishment and humiliation. Alice Miller seems to be a bit of a polarizing figure, which isn't too surprising, since she manages to basically upend the entire history of pedagogy in her work. This is the first of her books I've read, but I was so fascinated that I decided to dig a bit deeper, and discovered that likely one reason her books are challenging to find (in English, at least), is probably because of her complicated relationship with her son, Martin Miller, who is also a psychotherapist. My mother used to say,"We are all victims of victims." If you reflect on this continuum, as Alice Miller does, you realize that many of her case study examples are as immediate today as they ever were since violence is a trait passed down through experience and it is so unerringly inserted deep in the mind of an abused child that it remains almost invisible until an opportunity presents itself for it to blossom horribly within its unwitting host. Just finished reading this wonderfully dark, twisty and compelling thriller set in a prestigious private school. I raced through it, desperate to know how it would end.” What anyone can most accurately observe are their own feelings, beliefs and judgments, which are about the observer not the observed.

For Your Own Good: The most addictive psychological thriller For Your Own Good: The most addictive psychological thriller

Were that to suddenly change, it would be radical, but it’s hard to imagine that it ever will. That would depend entirely on whether or not clinicians are ready, willing, and able to own their own stuff and to stop projecting their shadow feelings and judgments onto the client–to realize that we are all biased observers of others, one way or another. Personal truth is based on our own experience, and on what we feel and believe at any given moment, and definitely NOT what others project onto us. In Fullmetal Alchemist (2003) anime, this is basically Hohenheim's excuse for leaving his family: because of his immortality, his body is slowly rotting away and he didn't want his family finding out. There's also the matter of Dante and the Homunculi keeping tabs on him. Lots of people claim to be influenced by Alice Miller and claim to understand her, but they support Liberal Pedagogy. Alice Miller was opposed to ALL PEDAGOGY. Maybe she was not able to always stand up for this and articulate it well at all times, but she did make her position clear. Alice Miller quotes extensively from 19c [German] child-rearing manuals warning the parent to establish his/her dominance over the child in the very first year, the goal being the child's complete and blind obedience. Today, someone who has survived the Middle-Class Family has zero social standing. They are seen as a Ne’er-Do-Well, as someone who had failed to measure up to the self-reliance ethic. And this self-reliance ethic is the main rationalization for all Pedagogy and FYOG.Some of the bravest providers I know will at least admit out loud that they aren’t doing those things “for our own good,” so much as because they don’t know what on earth else to do. I’ve heard clinicians say, “I used to tell people I was signing their commitment papers ‘for their own good’, but now I’m honest and tell them I just don’t know what else to do… because I want them to be alive tomorrow so we can figure out the right next steps together, and I’m afraid they might not be if I don’t do something now.” Those clinicians who say that (and genuinely mean it) are among the best of the bunch, and I can at least continue to be in conversation with them. So you can get drugs on the street. Or you can get drugs from the Mental Health System. But none of these do anything to restore your social and civil standing. In truth, “for your own good” is most often code that translates to “for my own good.” (FMOG) In other words: Providersplaining (sometimes masquerading under fun terms like “psychoeducation”) is a common component of psychiatric oppression that has similar features to phenomena like mansplaining. Basically, it is when someone in a provider role explains something in a condescending or patronizing manner to a person (usually with a psychiatric history of some kind) who would typically know better than the provider would in the first place. It happens all the time, but is especially strange when a provider uses that approach to explain why we should be okay with how they’re speaking about us.

Book Review: FOR YOUR OWN GOOD by Samantha Downing — Crime by

In traditional societies and primitive societies it is not like this. Children are an unavoidable result, they are not a planned facade. Sadly, what would’ve been “best for me” would’ve been to keep self-isolating, not tell a soul I was struggling in a hostile work environment, “cope” and self-medicate — basically, get no help at all. I am irate.

the only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others. His own good, either physical or moral, is not a sufficient warrant. He cannot rightfully be compelled to do or forbear because it will be better for him to do so, because it will make him happier, because in the opinion of others, to do so would be wise, or even right.... The only part of the conduct of anyone, for which he is amenable to society, is that which concerns others. In the part which merely concerns himself, his independence is of right, absolute, over himself. Over his own body-mind, the individual is sovereign.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop