Jim Henson's Labyrinth: The Novelization

Jim Henson's Labyrinth: The Novelization

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Jim Henson, creator of the Muppets and directory of Labyrinth, has joined with executive producer George Lucas to take us once again on a fascinating journey into a fantastic world. Labyrinth has been produced by Eric Rattray; the executive supervising producer is David Lazer, illustrator Brian Froud is the conceptual designer, and the screenplay by Terry Jones is based on a story by Jim Henson and Dennis Lee. A Henson Associates Inc. / Lucasfilm Ltd. production, the movie is distributed by Tri-Star pictures.

I loved the film, which made this book enjoyable, the archived artwork was also a bonus. I didn't much care for the notes at the end as they were A. unreadable and B. clearly someone's personal notes which perhaps interesting one would need to be Henderson himself to fully understand what he was saying.Underground with David Bowie as the Goblin King is one of the fantasy worlds I would leave this reality for in a heartbeat. I mean, who wouldn't want to spend their immortality with this guy? With the extras included in this new edition I learned that the movie was not based on the book, but the book was written as a companion to the movie. It is so beautifully similar to the movie. The characters are the same and you get a wonderful peek into their heads as they go about the adventure. For those of you sadly unfamiliar here is a little into to them: Jareth’s guises as a barn owl and a plague doctor are death symbols. There's also a body of water that everyone fears, a guard canine, and a group of feathery creatures who frequent deserted woodlands and rip people to shreds--"Fireys" even sounds like "Furies." The masquerade dancers suggest that Jareth's people are out there somewhere, but he reigns exiled here, in a land of perpetual autumn. The Minoans gave Persephone the epithet Potnia, "Mistress of the Labyrinth."

Anyway, as Hollywood is wont to do now, because, apparently, they've smoked their creativity away, and adapt movies from books, it used to be heavily the other way around. I'm not sure how many movie novelizations have been made recently but they used to be very common. Labyrinth was one of them. The person writing the novelization really didn't have too much creative license with what they were given but if they were given enough information, and had the talent, they could write an amazing adaptation of a movie.It was spot on. I like how A.C.H. Smith went the extra mile and included dialogue in scenes where it's David Bowie singing(for those who don't know, David Bowie is in the movie. If you didn't know...well...where were you?). We even learn a little bit more about Sarah's mother, where the movie didn't touch on. This is why when the most recent Sarah introduces herself to Hoggle, his response is the cryptic "That's what I thought."

While the book did clear up some things, there still seems to be something missing from this novelization. I think the songs from the film made so much of an impression on me, so this book didn't completely pull me in the story. Every time I read this book, I couldn't help but wait for the scenes between Jareth and Sarah. I'm basically Sareth trash. IT FEELS SO WRONG YET SO RIGHT. She smiled up at him. She thought how handsome he was, but one didn’t tell a man such things, did one? ”

Table of Contents

Jareth also crated a beautiful place for his Sarah, one where she'd be treated like the Queen she was. Although these are my thoughts on the book, let me say that this is one of the most wonderful movies I have ever seen. It always seems to me that The Labyrinth is not as well known as it should be. Those who know it love it, and those who do not are missing out! What I loved in the movie, and what does not come across as well in the book, is that the whole Labyrinth was based on Sarah’s life. The creatures are based on her toys and possessions at home and a lot reflects her attitude towards life (It’s not fair!). But the most vital difference that speaks for the movie is without a doubt the music. The music is magical and the lyrics are so beautiful, fun and memorable that I sometimes recite them at complete random. The majority of the songs are sung by David Bowie who also portrays Jareth. To me, David Bowie represents the Goblin King and the whole fantastic movie. And Jennifer Connelly makes such a beautiful Sarah that it makes me feel jealous, haha.

Sarah then plunges into a whirlwind adventure. If she cannot reach the center of the mysterious Labyrinth within thirteen hours, Jareth -- King of the Goblins -- will keep Toby forever. In the twists and turns of her dangerous journey to Jareth's castle, she meets an extraordinary variety of strange characters, some more friendly than others. But none of them will be able to help her unless she musters the courage to challenge Jareth -- no matter what the odds. Como personajes el libro no nos añade ninguno nuevo, salvo a la madre. Tenemos a Sarah, nuestra protagonista. Protagonista que nos parece un poco egocéntrica, pero que luego se redime al darse cuenta del error que ha cometido pidiendo a Jareth que se lleve a su hermano. Toby, el renacuajo que mete en problemas a su hermana y cuya especialidad es llorar, y llorar y llorar, además de robarla sus peluches. Y luego muchos de los variopintos habitantes del laberinto, siendo los más destacados Hoggle el goblin, Ludo el peluche gigante peludo (era el mote que le puse de niña) y Sir Didymus. De todos ellos el personaje estrella es el rey de los goblin Jareth. De pequeña vivía enamorada de este personaje encarnado por Bowie, del que he sido fan desde que tengo memoria. Realmente si te paras a pensarlo en cierto modo es el villano de la historia, el que aleja al bebé Toby de su hermana, pero como deja claro en el libro, y en el film con la canción de Within You, todo lo que hizo fue por ella, por darla todo lo que quería, a pesar de que todo esto pueda verse como malo. Una pena la verdad como termina el libro y la peli, que lo hace casi de la misma manera. Que juntaran a Sarah y Jareth como pareja me habría hecho más que feliz (bueno, los shippearé en mi cabeza como he hecho toda mi vida). I have so much to say, but I'll keep it short (don't worry). One thing I didn't get from the movie is that Jareth wanted Sarah to look for him (and she doesn't know why). In the movie, I thought Sarah was looking for Jareth because she was in unfamiliar territory (ADULT WORLD) and then she saw him.Penned by the TUMBLR writer Glamdamnit, here is a detailed guess about what happened to the Goblin King that made him want to steal a little girl. This is the first movie novelization I have ever read. I was hesitant as the movie is one of my biggest childhood favourites and I was unsure as to how a book could improve that. This book covers every scene the movie has to offer and a few extras. I would say I love both equally much but they have their differences – or should I call them advantages? It's perfectly fine to like problematic things, as long as you realise they are problematic, and this is the case. Sadly, time moved differently in the fairy world than the mortal one. By the time Jareth believed his new realm worthy of his love, his Sarah was long since dead. So a GoodReads friend told me a few months ago they were re-releasing The Labyrinth. I couldn't believe it. After finding out years ago it was out of print, searching, finding it for hundreds of dollars I had given up the hope of reading it.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop