The Book of Fred: Funny anecdotes and hilarious insights from the much-loved TV presenter and cricketer

£10
FREE Shipping

The Book of Fred: Funny anecdotes and hilarious insights from the much-loved TV presenter and cricketer

RRP: £20.00
Price: £10
£10 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Although I thought this was going to be a book mainly about cricket, it is more a personal insight into a person who, away from the cricket field and television cameras, is a very private character with much the same doubts and insecurities as most people.

I listened to the audiobook version of this and was a little disappointed when I realised it wasn’t actually Freddie that was going to be doing the narration. Flintoff's wit and charisma, which endeared him to fans worldwide, are evident throughout the memoir. I actually thought, given Fred's sense of humour, that the book would have been a lot more entertaining than it actually was. Big fan of Freddie Flintoff but this book is a bit of a mish mash of thoughts and styles and not really sure that it comes across that well as doesn't seem to be any flow/format to it. The Book of Fred is filled with anecdotes, observations and the odd opinion all told with Fred's trademark humour and no-nonsense style.But, this last year we’ve all had a moment to reflect, and I’ve had the chance to look back and notice that although there’s been little method in the madness of my life, there has been the occasional common thread. I wanted a nice simple book I could just pick up for 5 mins here and there and this turned out to be the perfect fit. You can change your choices at any time by visiting Cookie preferences, as described in the Cookie notice. You'd probably enjoy it more if you were a fan of cricket though which is understandable with his sporting background.

Andrew ‘Freddie’ Flintoff is one of the most exciting cricketers in the world and has improved out of all recognition during the last two years. The Chalke History Festival announces a new name, new look, and tons for history buffs to get their teeth into! The cricketing legend reflects on a life brimming with both spectacular sporting achievement and ill-advised yet hilarious antics to deliver a manual for life like no other with his inimitable good humour and charm.Additionally, the book assumes a certain level of cricketing knowledge, potentially alienating readers who may not be well-versed in the sport. Although I found the writing style to be quite rambling, their are some interesting observations and a few humorous moments. This can make it challenging for readers unfamiliar with the intricacies of Flintoff's career to follow the timeline of significant events. There were some chapters that made me laugh and I thoroughly enjoyed it, however some of them I was not very interested in.

While it has its moments of humor and charm, the book lacks the depth and structure needed to elevate it to the level of a standout sports autobiography. At the age of 20, he was picked for his Test debut against South Africa, and later `Freddie` was instrumental in the victory against Australia in the 2005 Ashes series. He literally describes every match in great detail,yet only mentions his wife and daughter fleetingly. Right, said Fred is a very easy book to read, once you take out the contents and the index etc, it's only 270 pages long. Andrew 'Freddie' Flintoff takes on many different topics in this rambling response to the pandemic and it's limitation on what we can do, where we can go and who we can see.Fred's approach to life draws on the sublime (his series winning performance in the 2005 Ashes) and the ridiculous (singing Elvis Presley's 'Suspicious Minds' in front of a live audience), from highs (making the transition to top TV presenter) to occasional lows (accidentally upsetting the lovely Bruce Forsyth), from the profane (discussing Shane Warne's barnet with Hollywood royalty) to the profound (why 'having a go' leads to self-respect). He has written for newspapers, fronted his own radio show and had a hugely successful podcast, Flintoff, Savage and the Ping Pong Guy .

His book wasn't what I expected - it wasn't an autobiography and it wasn't the collection of sporting anecdotes that I would normally expect from a book by a former international cricketer. It is filled with anecdotes, observations and the odd opinion all told with Fred’s trademark humour and no-nonsense style. Review: Andrew “Freddie” Flintoff is a former professional cricketer who played in 79 Test Matches for England, captaining the team on 11 occasions. From one of Britain's most-loved national treasures, comes a much-needed Bible of straight-talking honesty and sharp observational following an unprecedented time of collective global insanity, Freddie is ready to impart his effortless charm, wit and wisdom on a wild array of topics. Every single Certificate of Authenticity is also verified by our chief executive officer - to guarantee that the item is genuine and hand signed.It was a bit contradictory, with the main theme being 'I don't think people shoud be so public with their opinions' especially when this is essentially a book of opinions. Andrew "Freddie" Flintoff is one of the most exciting cricketers in the world, and has gained more and more notoriety through the last few years. While the narrative has its moments of charm and humor, it often feels like a surface-level exploration of Flintoff's life. No missing or damaged pages, no creases or tears, no underlining or highlighting of text, and no writing in the margins.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop