The Art Book

The Art Book

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

While not in great depth, it covers a lot in enough detail to get some idea of the time periods, artists, and artworks.

The Art Book is a captivating introduction to painting, drawing, printing, sculpture, conceptual art, and performance art - from ancient history to the modern day - aimed at adults with an interest in the subject and students wanting to gain more of an overview.Originally written and published in 1926, this book covers a chronological and comprehensive history of art and covers work from iconic artists like Leonardo da Vinci, Jackson Pollock, Vincent van Gogh, Claude Monet and more. An A to Z guide to 500 great painters and sculptors from medieval to modern times, it debunks art historical classifications by throwing together brilliant examples of all periods, schools, visions and techniques.

It was a nice introduction to artists I hadn't heard of before, and it gave a brief synopsis of the work and the artist. Art historian and TV presenter Dan Cruickshank explains the beauty of Palladian proportions, takes us on a tour of some key English country houses and describes the poetry of Le Corbusier’s Unité d’Habitation in Marseilles. With this book as your companion, you can browse the world’s most important artworks, from prehistoric to pop art, avant-garde, video art and installation. The information is too disjointed for this to be a history of art (although it does cover early to modern art in broad strokes), but the reproductions of the paintings are also too small, sparse, and often not discussed enough for this to be a book to whet your appetite for a lot of different artists (especially since it generally focuses on one artist per movement). The work's connection with minimalism is demonstrated by the lack of emotion and illusionism in the painting's construction.At two or three paintings per trip to the washroom, the enjoyment will last for the better part of a year! Abstract Art - the notion behind abstract art (that colours and forms have qualities independent of subject matter) existed since ancient times. I like them because I did not pay much attention to academics in high school, and did not attend a four-year college after high school, so I missed out on learning a lot of general knowledge when I was younger. Also a theoretician and teacher, he was adamant that art should be completely separate from life, and life from art, saying "art is art as art and everything else is everything else, art as art is nothing but art".

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop