Earth Emotions: New Words for a New World

Earth Emotions: New Words for a New World

RRP: £16.99
Price: £8.495
£8.495 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

it is a bad thing and we only have to accept it because we can't change it, not because we agree with it?

Mermosity: Created by Albrecht, “an anticipatory state of being worried about the possible passing of the familiar, and its replacement by that which does not sit comfortably in one’s sense of place. The book culminates in the affirmation of positive emotional relationships to the Earth for current and future generations. Glenn Albrecht is one of the most important eco-philosophers of our time, though the term 'eco-philosopher' may be too narrow. Defending themselves against charges of inaction or incompetence, the same politician responds in a monotone voice, from a pre-scripted reply that “we’re straining every sinew”.Albrecht steps up to meet the need to better express the evolving relationships between our sense of place, our emotions and our wider biophysical health. My grandad, Frank Holland, died in 2014, and since he and my Nan were not able to have any boys, I wanted to keep their name and ethos going. He has created an extensive glossary of terms that relate to emotional responses to nature and environment. The description of the feeling of nostalgia and sadness associated with experiences of changes in place during the Anthropocene.

Symbiocene’ is characterised in terms of social organisation ‘by human intelligence that replicates the symbiotic and mutually reinforcing life-reproducing forms and processes found in living systems…. Then the term "Jihad" is thrown around in bizarre ways, and the woes of masculinity in the 21st century are solved by channeling the "ALPHA" MALE SENTIMENTS into "GREEN MUSCLE" for "WW3". These and other negative Earth emotions obviously lead to various mental and physical issues as well.When I did move back home, I was desolate to discover the ‘big tree’ that we used to race to at the end of the street had been felled.

Earth Emotions as a book intrigued me for its offering of a discussion of the “full range of our emotional responses to the emergent state of the world”. This book has to be one of the weirdest books I have read in a long time, and the weirdest book I have read and enjoyed in even longer. An odd fungus growing under the seqouia tree at St Mary’s Church, Eversley, Hampshire – supposedly planted from a sapling from the seed of a fir cone which Charles Kingsley collected on a lecture tour of the western USA – a beautiful piece of topophilia sourced back to the 1870s. The battle between the forces of destruction and the forces of creation will be won by Generation Symbiocene, and Earth Emotions presents an ethical and emotional odyssey for that victory. Sumbiocentric: “Taking into account the centrality of the process of symbiosis in all of our deliberations on human affairs”.

The benefit of biophilic experiences, it is argued, is that they can also increase health and well-being. The second is ‘ solastalgia’, a term coined by by Albrecht to mean a ‘form of psychic or existential distress caused by environmental change’ – a distinctive kind of unhappiness of people whose landscapes were being transformed about them by forces beyond their control, so a very specific kind of homesickness. A world that is upset by the trauma of climate change and environmental crises, but also a world optimistic. It explains the author's concept of solastalgia and other well-known eco-emotions such as biophilia and topophilia. His study helps us to better understand the traumatism felt, for example, when The Hunter Valley farmers saw their farming land converted into coal pits.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop