The Detention Detectives: Volume 1 (The Detention Detectives, 1)

£3.995
FREE Shipping

RRP: £7.99
Price: £3.995
£3.995 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

He soon becomes aware that he is not the only one with problems as Daniel’s mother is seriously ill and Daniel is her principal carer. He is assisted by Lois, Mr Baynton’s wife, who has been arrested as chief suspect for her husband’s murder. If Lois’s name isn’t cleared Daniel will lose her help and Social Services will intervene to have him fostered. Lydia’s life is also beset with troubles: she lives with her grandparents as her mother deserted her to live abroad and her domineering grandmother makes a prison of her life. Little by little, Jonno recognises that he is needed and the murder hunt changes the nature of the friendship between the trio from toleration to respect and, eventually, friendship. I don't know how I heard about this book, but I somehow did and ended up reserving it before it even got to the library. It did not disappoint. Finding a dead body at my new school was a pretty rubbish way to start. But actually getting mixed up in the case? I was bound to get into deep, deep trouble for that! Finding a dead body at my new school was a pretty rubbish way to start. But actually getting mixed up in the case? I was bound to get into deep, deep trouble for that!” I was bound to get into deep, deep trouble for that! When the wrong person is arrested for the crime, Jonno realises playing detective might just be the perfect Plan B. But the suspect list is long, and his classmates Daniel and Lydia also have reasons for wanting to solve the case. Jonno doesn't want any new friends. But he might need all the help he can get. About This Edition ISBN:

Discovering the dead body of your PE teacher might not seem the best start at a new school, but twelve-year-old Jonno sees it as a fantastic opportunity. Jonno's a HUGE murder mystery fan, and when the wrong person's arrested for the crime, he realises playing detective might just be a perfect Plan B.

About Lis Jardine

This brilliant detective debut really is in a class of its own...plot twists and turns to keep your mini-investigators working their little grey cells right up until the end Lucy Brandt, author of the Leonora Bolt series Misfits and murder meet in this brilliantly fun new mystery series by debut author Lis Jardine. A perfect next read for fans of The High-Rise Mysteries, Anisha, Accidental Detective and Murder Most Unladylike.

Finding a dead body at my new school was a pretty rubbish way to start. But actually getting mixed up in the case? Friendship, trust, courage and determination are at the heart of this extremely funny murder-mystery tale. Featuring a hugely entertaining cast of characters, the intriguing plot is full of twists and turns, and will keep readers guessing to the very end. BookTrust I thought the author did well with the police procedure side of the story. The officers did not appear to be that overbearing or condescending towards the kids. Although the pathologist Dr Hinton, made me smile with his colourful take on the dead body and what he would be doing it later. Finding a dead body at my new school was a pretty rubbish way to start. But actually getting mixed up in the case? I was bound to get into deep, deep trouble for that!"I didn't need to use the added footnotes, but they are excellent and inciteful, especially if you are of a young age and fail to recognise some of the older references. Thank you, Lis Jardine, NetGalley and Penguin Random House children’s UK, for the opportunity to view this book.

But Plan A just isn't convincing his parents their move was a mistake! What he needs is something a bit more dramatic... The Detention Detectives is cleverly plotted, the characters quirky but convincing, the action perfectly paced. It comes to a terrific climax, and the hint that Jonno, Daniel and Lydia will have further adventures and more crimes to solve.

Similar items

Lis Jardine is an exiting new voice in the canon of authors brilliantly sending young readers sleuthing. The Detention Detectives is cleverly plotted, the characters quirky but convincing, the action perfectly paced. LoveReading4Kids The Detention Detectives is a decent enough read with some real down-to-earth characters. I thought Lydia was brilliant. Everyone knows a Lydia of one description or another. Wants to know about anything and everything, always in the right or wrong place at the right time. He's not alone; Star Trek superfan Daniel and snoopy school reporter Lydia have their own, secret reasons for wanting to solve the case...

But Plan A just isn't convincing his parents their move was a mistake! What he needs is something a bit more dramatic. . .

Jonno Archer doesn't want to change schools, so puts zero effort into making new friends. But Plan A just isn't convincing his parents the move was a mistake! He needs something a bit more dramatic. Even though it is a relatively short book, the story flowed nicely. Never seemed to rush or get ahead of itself in any shape or form. Jonno and his knowledge of detective work that came from various sources was a clever idea, though not necessarily unique. It turns out that schools are ideal settings for murder mysteries, and Lis Jardine is an exiting new voice in the canon of authors brilliantly sending young readers sleuthing. My heart bled for Daniel's mum as I suffered from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Talk about debilitating. The fatigue worsens with physical or mental activity but doesn't improve with rest. Difficulties with memory, focus and concentration and cannot always sleep. Dizziness that worsens with moving from lying down or sitting to standing. And the list of teachers who wanted to see Mr Baynton dead is LONG. While Jonno doesn't want new besties. . . he might need all the help he can get.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop