Divided City

Divided City

RRP: £7.99
Price: £3.995
£3.995 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Ultimately, these activities are designed to encourage young people to form their own points of view and feel able to respectfully challenge those with whom they disagree. How does this work link with the range of protected characteristics that are defined by the Equality Act (2010)? Graham’s Granda Reid is a proud Orangeman who wants Graham to march in the big Orange Walk which is coming up. Graham’s parents have always resisted pressure to make him take part when he was younger saying he should make his own mind up when he is old enough. However, this is the year he must do so. Joe’s family members are equally committed to upholding their Catholic traditions.

Divided City by Theresa Breslin Teaching Notes on Divided City by Theresa Breslin

Graham took his hands from his head. He stepped from the doorway onto the street. Went slowly forward to look at the huddled body lying on the ground. Beside the paper ball of his chip bag there was a puddle of liquid. Under the light of the street lamp it reflected dull red. It was seeping from below the body of the boy. Moving out towards Graham’s feet. This isn't a preachy novel, but if there is a message it's this: if we want to understand one another, perhaps the best way is through the young. The city, Glasgow, is what might one day unite the two sides, and enable them also to include the newcomers, the asylum seekers who have been added to the mix. A football team whose players include supporters of both the Greens and the Blues has got to be a good idea. Not Celtic or Rangers but Glasgow City. From either side the dark openings of the tenement building mawed at him. It was the beginning of May and fairly light at this time in the evening. But even so . . . Graham glanced around. The sky was densely overcast and shadows were gathering. He shouldn’t have lingered so long after football training. I mostly liked this book. It describes the story of two boys, who belong to different religions. Also they support different football teams.

Explore this resource

Nevertheless, I was so deeply impressed by this book, because it was written brilliantly. Of course, I admired the football match descriptions and the teenagers' dreams of them playing in the World Cup final. Of course, I was nearly interested in asylum seekers problem, because this is urgent problem nowadays. A variety of activities are utilised with many drama activities incorporated which support young learners to walk in the shoes of people with different viewpoints and beliefs. When I finished this book, I was a bit puzzled. I still couldn't understand, that the whole city is divided into two parts, having different religions, different traditions, different football teams... If there are so many differences, what connected these groups? Why there are living together? He was walking fast, eating from his bag of hot chips as he went. Taking a detour via Reglan Street. The kind of street his parents had warned him never to be in. The kind of street where your footsteps echoed loud, too loud – because there was no one else about. Using this resource will offer learners the opportunity to explore sectarianism, the history, its impact and their own personal response.

Divided City - Theresa Breslin Divided City - Theresa Breslin

Breslin’s book is broad-minded and bold in the way it refuses to dodge the issues while at the same time trying to give as balanced a view as a writer can of the prejudice that divides friends, families and neighbours. Breslin’s book will grab a few headlines, and if it gets people thinking, especially young people, but just as importantly, adults, then it’s done some good. The fact that it’s also a great wee story is a bonus. Devided city is a really nice book and the book is easy to read. the book is really likable if you like footbal and when you like the Scottish competition. I knew a lot of the Scottisch competition before is started to read this book, but when I started to read this book I realized how many hate their was between the supporters. before you start to read this book I advise to read something about the Old Firm, when you know something about the Old Firm it will help you to understand the book. the most importent thing about this book is the friendship between the two guys despite they are for two differents football clubs.

Stage Production

Do we offer our learners the opportunity to explore their own life experiences in relation to sectarianism? Graham pressed himself against the door, glad of his skinny frame. The remainder of the gang came down the street, veering onto the pavement as they spotted him.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop