Jill's Gymkhana (The Jill Books by Ruby Ferguson Book 1)

£9.9
FREE Shipping

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Hardly needs introduction - the classic adventures of Jill begin when she finds herself the owner of a pony and has to learn all about caring for and riding him. She then moved to Manchester and took a job as a secretary, supplementing her income by writing a regular column for the British Weekly. I still love it, and am happy to see something that made 8-year-old Yvonne forget her troubles and get lost in a book. Jill's Gymkhana, A Stable for Jill, Jill has two ponies (later republished as Jill and the Runaway), Jill enjoys her Ponies, Jill's Riding Club, Rosettes for Jill, Jill and the Perfect Pony, Pony Jobs for Jill (later republished as Challenges for Jill) and Jill's Pony Trek.

It’s a must read for anyone who loves ponies and although some of it is quite dated it still resonates with any child who dreams of owning their own pony. Does starting the year with a 72 year old English book for older children and young teens seem weird? The plot is that Jill wants a pony, because Jill is an 11-year-old girl, and Jill gets a pony, because Jill is an incredibly lucky 11-year-old girl. Out of print for years, this is a reprint of the 1949 original using the original first edition text.

I find myself not wanting to watch or read anything American and/or overly relevant right now, is all I can say. You can certainly forgive the impressionable child reading this book for thinking that ponies must actually be quite cheap and if her parents don't get her one it's probably just because they're evil. As a pony mad child growing up in the 80s, I was spoilt for choice when it came to literary heroines - Jinny, Jackie, Jean (why am I only now realising they all started with “J”? By using the Web site, you confirm that you have read, understood, and agreed to be bound by the Terms and Conditions. In the first book in the series, Jill's Gymkhana, Jill's father has recently died, and she moves with her mother to a small Pool Cottage near the fictional village of Chatton.

Discover the joy of reading with us, your trusted source for affordable books that do not compromise on quality. He started out as a journalist, studying at the Edinburgh College of Commerce, and winning the Fraser Award aged just 21 for his writing. Written in 1949, read by me around 1972 and rediscovered thanks to Lucy Mangan’s wonderful Bookworm. I’d love to think that Jill will find a new legion of young fans (though I suspect some explanations from aging parents will be needed! The book is actually quite clever about this when it comes to pony handling, as it follows all of Jill's 'and as of course you know' statements with very precise descriptions of how to brush or mount your pony, so that, well, of course the young know-it-all reading this book will know this information when it becomes vital to their future relationships with ponies.We take pride in offering a wide selection of used books, from classics to hidden gems, ensuring theres something for every literary palate. This book was written in 1949, ive just re read it and it bought so many childhood memories back, remember reading this sitting on hay bales in stables as a child, the Knight book pictured is the one I have and had as a child, I love the Bonar Dunlop illustrations.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop