The White Hare: A West Country Coming-of-Age Mystery

The White Hare: A West Country Coming-of-Age Mystery

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

I had a fight with some crocodiles, but I was beaten, and they pulled out all my fur and left me to suffer here—that is why I am crying.” In an interview, Savino has stated that the Louds being a family of rabbits was just one of many abandoned concepts he decided on during the show's pre-production. The White Hare was an enjoyable and engrossing book. I enjoyed the aspect of second chances and looking to the future while coming to terms with your past. This book also had the perfect mix of folklore, legend, and drama. Most of the characters were likeable, one grew on me by the end, and one was downright dastardly. While reading this, I wanted to walk through the forest, sit by the stream and go down to the sea. I also wanted to spend time with most of the villagers and hear their stories. Reid, Neil. Conservation ecology of the Irish hare (Lepus timidus hibernicus). Diss. Queen's University of Belfast, 2006 [6]

Hare Brooklyn Museum - California Hare - John J. Audubon Cape hare ( Lepus capensis) European hare (above) and mountain hare Mr. Crocodile, you live in the sea and I live on this island, and we do not often meet, so I know very little about you. Tell me, do you think the number of your company is greater than mine?” The White Valley comes with a long, eventful history, laced with tall tales. Locals say that a white hare may be seen running through the woods there; to some she’s an ill omen, to others a blessing. Feeling fragile and broken-hearted, Mila is in need of as many blessings as she can get. But will this place provide the fresh start she so desperately needs?What is the focus? Magic. Such a small word for such a big concept. It's the magic of a place and of a world. It's the magic that seeps and dyes and flavors a particular place and a people. It's not a gentle magic, or a magic that explains itself. It can rebuke or it can welcome. It is powerful, and powerful forces are always dangerous. The hare humbled himself before this great fairy Okuni-nushi-no-Mikoto, whom many in that part of the land worshiped as a god. The sun climbs higher. The body now lies fully exposed, a clear landmark on the shore. It lies like a person in repose, on its side, one arm flung up above the head, face turned from the land as if spurning human interaction. The soles of its feet are white as lilies and beginning to wrinkle. One knee is drawn up, lending the figure a dancer’s poise. The stains on the body’s clothing contrasting with the muted colours of the natural world punctuate the scene like a shout. Flux, J.E.C. (1987). "Myths and mad March hares". Nature. 325 (6106): 737–738. Bibcode: 1987Natur.325..737F. doi: 10.1038/325737a0. PMID 3821863. S2CID 4280664. Edwards, P. J., M. R. Fletcher, and P. Berny. Review of the factors affecting the decline of the European brown hare, Lepus europaeus (Pallas, 1778) and the use of wildlife incident data to evaluate the significance of paraquat. Agriculture, ecosystems & environment 79.2-3 (2000): 95-103. [3]

But not all the villagers are happy to see foreigners come to White Valley. They are suspicious and skeptical. When Magdalena, Mila and Janey see a white hare when they arrive the first evening, talk of the sighting causes interesting reactions in the villagers. Local legend says that an enchanted White Hare lives in the area and seeing it can be a blessing or a bad omen. What will it be for them? It's a contemporary fantasy set in 1954 Cornwall. Well, not contemporary to our world, but certainly to that world and time. Not urban fantasy; do we have rural fantasy? While it has romance in it, the romance is not the sole focus of the book. There's a mystery to the story, one that can be solved. And another mystery that does not lend itself to an easy resolution. There's lots of history, both of the land and of the characters. These are not simple characters. But those are facets of the tale rather than the focus of it. Oh, I did not know that you were Okuni-nushi-no-Mikoto. How kind you have been to me! It is impossible to believe that that unkind fellow who sent me to bathe in the sea is one of your brothers. I am quite sure that the Princess, whom your brothers have gone to seek, will refuse to be the bride of any of them, and will prefer you for your goodness of heart. I am quite sure that you will win her heart without intending to do so, and she will ask to be your bride.”Gibbons Merle & John Reitch (1842). The domestic dictionary and housekeeper's manual. London: William Strange. p. 113. And still the body lies there, larger waves lifting one pale hand as if the figure is making a feeble attempt to summon help, but no one comes. Vu, Alan. " Lepus europaeus: European hare". Animal Diversity Web. University of Michigan Museum of Zoology . Retrieved 9 January 2013. Varying in sophistication and elaboration, this icononography characterises all the “three hares” of church architecture in Britain, from a late-15th-century carved wooden boss in the chapel at Cotehele in Cornwall to a stained glass roundel at Holy Trinity church, Long Melford in Suffolk, and a painted stone boss in the Lady Chapel of St David’s Cathedral in Pembrokeshire. Betty resembles Lori from " No Guts, No Glori", complete with wearing Lori's military garb and having the same demanding attitude.

Painter, Theophilus S. (1926). "Studies in mammalian spermatogenesis VI. The chromosomes of the rabbit". Journal of Morphology. 43 (1): 1–43. doi: 10.1002/jmor.1050430102. ISSN 0362-2525. S2CID 85002717. Once in the village of Littlebredy there was a group of four men, four farmworkers, who in the evenings hunted together – not with guns, they couldn’t afford them – but with hounds. Each man had his own dog (a Longdog which is an old Dorset breed) and in that ancient alliance between human-kind and canine, the hunting was usually a success; more often than not there was something for the men to take home for the pot. As Mila and her mother begin their restoration work, they hear hints from their neighbours that the house has a sinister past and should be left alone. The two women think this is nonsense and continue with their plans, but Mila becomes increasingly concerned about the changes in Janey’s behaviour – particularly her obsession with Rabbit, a stuffed toy that seems to have a mind of its own. How is all of this related to sightings of the legendary White Hare and to the strange symbols and carvings Mila finds all over the house and its grounds? The hare was once regarded as an animal sacred to Aphrodite and Eros because of its high libido. Live hares were often presented as a gift of love. [30] Now, the hare is commonly associated with the Anglo-Saxon goddess Ēostre, and therefore pagan symbols like the Easter Bunny have been appropriated into the Christian tradition. [ citation needed] First, the Caveat. Jane Johnson is not only my editor of many, many years but also an excellent friend. But I do not think that affects my reactions to this book.Waking History/ Pranks Fore Nothing • Child's Play/ Force of Habits • Candy Crushed/ Master of Delusion • Bye Bye Birthday/ Tough Guise • Bizarritorium • Bringing Down the House/ Mountain Hard Pass • From Brad to Worse/ Doll Day Afternoon • Screen Queen/ Hide and Sneak • Out of Step/ Too Cool for School • Music to My Fears/ Fluff and Foiled • Leave No Van Behind/ Sponsor Tripped • Party Fowl/ Sleepless in Royal Woods • Hunn-cut Gems/ Can't Lynn Em All • Bye Tanya/ What Lies Beneath • An Inspector Falls/ One in a Million • Dread of the Class/ Welcome to the Doll Heist • Twas the Fight Before Christmas • Let's Break a Deal/ A Dish Come True • Beg, Borrow and Steele/ There Will Be Mud • Riddle School/ Love Me Tenor I know,” answered the sorrowful hare, “but I have repented and made up my mind never to use deceit again, so I beg you to show me how I may cure my sore body and make the fur grow again.” Just as the hare had said, the Princess could not be persuaded to become the bride of any of the brothers, but when she looked at the kind brother’s face she went straight up to him and said: The characters were well drawn. Outsiders, they were Polish immigrants, and I enjoyed learning about some of their Polish customs. Though I did like the protagonist, Mila, I found her mother Magda very difficult to care for. Her daughter, Janey, was a solitary, precocious girl, who seemed headstrong and at times disobedient.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop