Sony MDR-1A Prestige Overhead Headphones - Black

Sony MDR-1A Prestige Overhead Headphones - Black

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

As you can see, the Sony MDR-1A is not without its problems. These aren’t a do-it-all headphone, but as soon as you realise they aren’t meant to be and let the impenetrable wall of music hit you, you will be transported to another place. This is my guilt pleasure, and has changed my views on what a “good” headphone really is. The choice of plastic seems deliberate for comfort reasons as opposed to a cost-saving method, but it does come at the cost of durability. These headphones are also non-collapsable, so making for compact travel is pretty difficult with these.

Design-wise, there is nothing spectacular about the MDR-1A. They look exactly as you would expect from a Sony-branded headphone at this price point. The metallic exterior and large ear cups manage to give it an attractive and chiseled appearance. When people talk about the wild, clear, dynamic Grado sound - they are talking about this. I used to own Grados, but I sold them all. I couldn't stand them at all, and I always wondered what people heard in them. They talked about punchy bass, clear treble, etc, but all I heard was a shrill midrange and colored sound. As with any wireless or noise cancelling set of headphones, before buying the Sony MDR-1ABT, you need to make sure you need their spotlight feature. Because (stating the obvious) you do pay for it. The pads are the softest material I have ever felt, and because the headphones are so light I forget they’re even on my head. No pressure points to speak of. The only headphone I can wear for an entire day non-stop. This is a massive achievement by Sony; I know I’m not the only one to compliment the comfort on these. However, comparing them to some of the best non-wireless headphones at the price, we start to see where their deficiencies lie. We put them up against the Sennheiser Momentum (we’re still waiting for the wireless set to arrive) and Oppo PM-3, and both show up the Sony MDR-1ABT mid-range.

Major HiFi Newsletter

More specifically, and to that point, they sound like entry-level audiophile headphones should. They didn’t have the same clarity that some of the higher-end headphones we listened to at CES had but, considering these were a quarter of the price, that’s to be expected. My hearing improves dramatically when I start looking at FR graphs — when I look at these graphs, I can hear up to 40K (50K on a good day). When I stop looking at those graphs, I can only hear up to 10K." --> music_4321 These things feel luxurious. Perfect clamping-force. . .it is low, but high enough that they stay firmly on my head, even when I start bobbing my head or am walking around. This is notable as I have a fairly narrow head. It's very easy to form a good seal with these over the ears, and the space inside the ear-pads should be sufficient for most folks unless they have ears that are seriously quite large. I can wear these for two, three, four, five, however many hours without it ever causing me any discomfort due to pressure. The ear-pads are super-soft, like feather pillows. They look amazing! These are some real stylish headphones right here, seriously. Sony hit a homerun with comfort and style for these!

While their lightweight frame make them exceptionally comfortable to wear for extended periods of time, they also make them a bit on the fragile side. Despite the padding, the Sony MDR-1ABT can still cause some discomfort if not setup properly. If you own a pair and find them a bit comfortable, try rearranging the headband. The fit is firmer than something like the Bose QC25, but they are generally very comfy. That touch of treble sparkle prevents the Sony MDR-1A from being a true “in your head” listening experience, but it’s not really a soundstage king by any stretch of the imagination. For our large noggin the MDR-1A fit is fine, but those with smaller heads might struggle to get the same experience. That's something to keep in mind, as you might not get the same five-star experience, but from our week's worth of listening sessions, and given the sensible price point, we have to say the Sony MDR-1A is a top class choice.I am very happy to say that even one year after having owned these, they have held up beautifully and remain my favorite pair of cans I have used in the price range. So much so that I have had no desire to search further, higher, or wider to find a better pair. These headphones have far more features than most. And they’re all well-implemented. No amateur moves here. Compared to my Momentum 1.0s, 2.0s, and my Adidas Monster Originals (a surprisingly competent headphone, BTW), these things are so much better. In a single word - they are balanced. No matter what you throw at them, they never stop being balanced and neutral. Which is a very hard thing for any headphone to do. It’s so limited at present it’s not worth putting too much emphasis on, unless you already own an LDAC device. Still, the Sony MDR-1ABT also support the next best thing, aptX. And what may arguably have more of an effect in some cases than LDAC is actually the processing that goes on after the headphones receive the audio signal. It’s been over three years since Sony introduced their MDR which was headed by the MDR-1R which were described as being able to produce “prestige” sound. Even though they were pricey, the MDR-1R was an impressive pair of over-ears and delivered in both performance and build quality.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop