Landlines: The No 1 Sunday Times bestseller about a thousand-mile journey across Britain from the author of The Salt Path (Raynor Winn, 3)

£10
FREE Shipping

Landlines: The No 1 Sunday Times bestseller about a thousand-mile journey across Britain from the author of The Salt Path (Raynor Winn, 3)

RRP: £20.00
Price: £10
£10 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Another heartwarming odyssey, this time on one of the wildest walks in Britain . . . Winn seems to have a bird's-eye view of Britain - a map at her feet, a keen eye for detail, particularly for social injustice. Hers is a voice of empathy and integrity * GUARDIAN * I have really enjoyed following the adventures of raynor winn and her husband. She is so consistent with her imagery and information while they are on their travels. Their journey from remote Scotland to the South West coast Path makes for inspiring reading * Boundless * By nature, we are ambulatory creatures. Our bodies are designed for movement. In an increasingly sedentary world, this is a story about walking. Walking long distances. Walking to heal.

Fantastisch boek over hoop, tegenslagen, en de impact van de buitenwereld op het menselijke lichaam. Giet daar nog het sausje van empathische en beschrijvende schrijfstijl van Winn overheen en je bekomt een prachtig geheel.. Walking can be healing, as Winn ( The Wild Science) found. She and her husband Moth have walked long distances in different countries over the decades, including after his diagnosis of an incurable, degenerative disease, which Winn described in The Salt Path. That journey helped Moth's health, but as it worsens amid the pandemic, the author hopes another trek will work again. In the vein of Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods, this book takes readers on the couple's journey in a narrative sprinkled with character anecdotes and vivid scenic descriptions. They come across kind, sometimes strange people—and maybe a ghost, although Winn doesn't call it that. History, politics, and environmental issues are explored as the couple battle blisters, relentless insects, and temperamental weather. The dangers are real, both in nature and as human ailments, which keeps readers invested in the story. The author doesn't shy away from expressing fears and doubts about both her and her husband's abilities. VERDICT Hope and determination in the face of all odds drive this engrossing book. Readers who have undertaken caretaking responsibilities for loved ones will find much to relate to in this honest depiction. —Elissa Cooper Library Journal The cover of the book is amazing as were her other books. Raynor Winn is an absolutely first class author. Her books are my absolute favourites.Fans of The Salt Path will love this moving continuation of Raynor and her husband Moth's journey . . . Alongside beautiful nature writing, there are thought-provoking observations on our countryside and the threat it is under' GOOD HOUSEKEEPING As someone who enjoys walking I truly admire what Raynor and Moth have done. As someone who also detests midges, sore feet and heavy rain, I read most of this book feeling I was reading about some kind of personal hell. Ik zit een beetje tussen twee en drie sterren in bij dit boek. Voor een deel gelden voor dit boek dezelfde opmerkingen die ik deels bij de andere delen al beschreven heb. De beschrijvingen van de natuur zijn mooi, maar je krijgt niet echt zicht op de twee hoofdpersonen, Ray en Moth. Verder vond ik het hele boek nogal deprimerend doordat de ontberingen die beide wandelaars moeten doorstaan de mooie momenten overschaduwen. Het verhaal is bijna een aaneenschakeling van regen, storm, muggen, steekvliegen en kapotte voeten. Het boek nodigt niet uit tot wandelen. Verder doet de informatie over de verschillende streken en dorpen nogal encyclopedisch aan en komen de filosofische opmerkingen mbt actuele onderwerpen zoals klimaat, Corona en Brexit nogal pathetisch over. Fans of The Salt Path will love this moving continuation of Raynor and her husband Moth's journey . . . Alongside beautiful nature writing, there are thought-provoking observations on our countryside and the threat it is under * Good Housekeeping *

An inspirational story of love and endurance; of trails offering links to ancient times. But it's clear-eyed, too, on the future we're shaping * Telegraph, 'Best travel books to buy for Christmas 2022' * This is a story about hardship and struggling against insurmountable odds, refusing to give in. But it is also about hope and there are also many moments of humour that pop up, little lamps of laughter brightening a bleak path. Raynor knows that her husband Moth's health is declining, getting worse by the day. She knows of only one cure: the healing power of walking. Heartening and comforting... The nature writing is beautiful and it is a thrill to read. You feel the world is a better place because Raynor and Moth are in it * The Times * The Salt Path made it's impact on me as a new voice, a new way of living and a life being lived in the moment one foot in front of the other.As they traverse the path, they encounter other walkers, negotiate dangerous terrain, struggle with injuries and the will to continue their journey, many times teetering on the brink of giving up. While they trudge on, the reader is treated to Scottish history, geography, and anecdotes from their life, as they witness homelessness, climate crisis, and extinction. It all makes for an interesting read, especially if, like me, you know very little about Scotland. Raynor Winn has done it again. She's achieved a miracle, defying all odds and walking 1,000 miles with her beloved husband Moth. But she has also given her vast army of fans - both armchair hikers and the real thing - another wondrous book, full of compassion, humour, insights, closeness to nature and true, bloody-minded grit. An inspiration. -- Isabella Tree, author of Wilding

Ik vind de schrijfstijl verschrikkelijk: veel te veel bijvoeglijke naamwoorden! Daarnaast lijken hele stukken aan elkaar geplakte alinea’s zonder verband. Moth's condition is significantly worsened as the book opens. He can't make it from the house to the orchard without falling over. The couple have two options, they can either sit at home and wait for Moth to die slowly or they risk everything again and do another mammoth walk, hoping that it will keep his condition at bay like it did in the past.

Retailers:

Dit is zo’n boek dat je leest als je verder niks anders te lezen hebt, maar wat wel lekker snel wegleest. Het is goed geschreven, met mooie beschrijvingen van hun wandeltocht van noord Schotland tot zuid Engeland, maar het raakte me niet zodanig dat andere boeken wel doen. esimese raamatu kodutuseiklusest eristab seda siin muidugi asjaolu, et vahepeal on (põhiliselt nendesamade raamatute abil) majanduslikult jälle järjele saadud ja võimalik on vajadusel valida öö hotellis või, khm, osta jalgrattad. rääkimata uutest matkasaabastest või telgist. selle üle on mul muidugi ainult hea meel, sest haige olla on juba piisav väljakutse ja seda pole tingimata vaja vaesuse lisamisega raskemaks teha. This is a story of grit and persistence, but most importantly, a tale of putting oneself ‘in the way of hope.’ Readers familiar with the couple's previous adventures especially will love this third installment. Booklist

I loved following the journey,and the descriptions of the country. However, I sometimes found the author's tone and opinions difficult. Not only the fairly regular remarks about Brexit but I found myself annoyed by her "I told you so" repetitions when Moth had done something silly. need kohanimed ja rajajupid ja mudased rabanõmmed ja jäälind kanali kohal, need olid mulle kõik nii tuttavad. ja muidugi soovin ma nüüd üle kõige võtta ka neli kuud vabaks ja sarnase seikluse ise läbi teha, ja okei, kui ma nelja kuud ei saa, siis vähemalt mingi osa ikkagi, ainult et kuidas ma valin, kas Pennine Way või West Higlnand või... okei, ma pean ikka kõik tegema. As the fracture lines between nations grow wider, how do we relate to each other, and to the land on which we live and the world around us? Ik heb respect voor de prestatie (1600 km wandelen in barre omstandigheden), ben onder de indruk van het effect op de gezondheid van Moth, maar voor mij had hier niet een heel boek over geschreven hoeven worden.I found Landlines to be significantly more tense and mournful than Winn's previous books. Weighed on by concern for Moth's health, this time the couples pilgrim through the wild seems like something of a last cry for help. This, combined with observations on the effect climate change is having on the landscape they walk through makes for bleak reading at times. However, the miraculous strength and comitment they share continues to be inspiring. Buoyed by hope, they once more achieve what, from the outside, seems impossible. Landlines is a moving continuation to an incredible, astonishing journey. If you enjoyed The Salt Path . . . you'll love Raynor Winn's latest book, Landlines * Yours Magazine * This book is between 3-4 stars, and perhaps I'll change the rating one day, but for now, it sits at around 3.5 stars. I felt really torn giving this book this rating as I loved a lot of it. I loved the premise of the book- walking to try and reverse a chronic, degenerative disease. As someone with a chronic illness, it spoke of hope, and has made me very thoughtful, wondering whether immersing myself in nature could help my conditions. Margot Robbie stars as the eponymous fashion doll in this live-action adventure directed by Greta...

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop