Hell Followed with Us

Hell Followed with Us

RRP: £15.99
Price: £7.995
£7.995 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Rippling with righteous fury. . . . Ultimately a story of both queer survival and queer perseverance. . . . Hell Followed With Us is, truly, like nothing else you’ll read this summer, and its deft balance of destruction and rebirth offers a satisfying, if far from saccharine, end.”—Paste

Podfic of They Will Pay. All of Them by Sushihorse. Language: English Words: 41 Chapters: 1/1 Collections: 2 Comments: 5 Kudos: 3 Hits: 55 you know, when i started this reading challenge i was worried that it would go too well. that i would give every book at least four stars because they would all just be too good or because i would start being too nice because i love good representation too much. (take a shot every time i say the word "too" in this sentence). Transphobia (misgendering, dead-naming with name written out repeatedly, threats of transphobic violence, forced detransition) When I started this… I didn’t know that it was a TRUE HORROR novel, but BOY, DID I FIND OUT. I look forward to reading more from this author! No author has ever scared me like this, AND I LOVED IT, HOLY HELL (pun intended 😂), did I adore it— I love horror because it scares the living hell (I need to stop with the puns, BUT I CAN’T, hahah) out of me, which I LOVE because it makes my TRUE anxiety fade away, & gives me a respite from it. An] astounding and exhilarating debut. . . . This fast-paced adventure is chaotic in the best way, featuring diverse and relatable characters that readers will fall in love with, despite their flaws, and a heartrending love story that reminds us that humanity seeks comfort even in the most painful of times.” — Booklist, Starred ReviewYou had known that you were no longer like them the second you had left the remnants of New Nazareth behind. Also: Look out for triggers that include abusive relationships, deadnaming, & misgendering. And… probably, definitely, NOT a book for serious Christians.** I’ll be the first to say I don’t read a lot of post-apocalyptic stories, it’s not a genre Im usually drawn to, but what I really liked about this is that it’s an end of the world story not necessarily about the end, it’s about the people. Yes there are...vivid descriptions of guts and rot and disease that brought the world down, but at its heart it’s a story driven by humanity and the resilience of people. All the characters were forced to grow up to fast, to make soldiers out of children, and the fact that there are times in the story where despite everything going on they still manage to laugh and be KIDS? That contrast with all the brutality of the worldbuilding, and the fact that those aspects blend and contrast so well together? I love that so much. the characters come in main character who is fine and other characters i don't remember the names of because they felt as distinct as grains of rice. This authentic story of consuming fury and the power of found family to heal is an excellent choice. . . .”— School Library Journal

i also didn't mind the gore and violence. the main thing that triggered any kind of reaction in me was when Benji was dead-named and forced into a dress. that scene made me nearly throw up for very personal reasons :) at the end of it i realized that there was a love triangle going on. and with at the end i mean when i finished it and saw other reviewers say that they didn't care about the love triangle - lol, my bad, i guess i didn't either. A long, sustained scream to the various strains of anti-transgender legislation multiplying around the world like, well, a virus.” —The New York Times I’m almost certain YA horror has never been this good. Striking in both narrative and premise, its no wonder I’ve heard nothing but praise for this book.The author uses lots of scripture from the Bible and teachings from these cult leaders and they’re either at the beginning of each chapter and/or interspersed in the chapter. When it was mid sentence, it could throw me off, or sometimes it felt very repetitive. Also with the pacing, I felt it would be a lot going on and then it would slow down to day to day life and it could be jarring. I do think theres an audience for this, one I hoped I would be a part of but sadly am not. If your interested in reading please be aware of how dark and gorey it is, because I’m a horror fan but this was to much for me. I will say as someone with severe religious trauma, it was healing to see a trans boy wipe out hundreds of evangelicals I received a free digital eARC from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest and unbiased review Religious Trauma and Body Horror When I started reading Hell Followed with Us, all I knew from friends was that it was spectacular. I’d read the synopsis and expected some level of horror…but I was not ready for the first chapter. Immediately, we are thrown into an apocalyptic world, and the main character Benji’s experience is filled with religious trauma and body horror. And it’s incredible. Andrew Joseph White masterfully crafts a world that we experience, quite literally, on a visceral level.

my main thing, if i had to put it into words, which i guess i do cause i have committed myself to this whole "review business", is that i cared neither about plot nor characters.A utopian model for queer community masquerading as a dystopian YA novel. Andrew Joseph White has dared to create a story where queer kids of all stripes love, fight alongside, and care for each other despite their personal differences and the myriad of things looking to kill them. It is as beautiful as it is hard to read. This is what horror can and should be."— Cliff Helm, Left Bank Books, St. Louis, MO Like others i was so excited for this book and wanted to like it so bad, but I was left fairly disappointed. The premise of the book was so catching, the idea of a boy turned monster getting revenge on those who created him is what drew me to the book. However the poor pacing, religious overload, and one dimensional characters drew me out of it.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop