The Complete D.R. & Quinch (The Alan Moore Collection)

£9.9
FREE Shipping

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

So then later, D.R. and Quinch get, like, drafted into the army, and they're like "yeah!" because they get to shoot some totally bodacious guns. But their drill sergeant is, like, a total square, and then they get posted to this slime-jungle, and some crazy stuff happens. I Don't Like the Sound of That Place: The duo's charity project for war-torn veterans from the Ghoyogi Slime Wars, "Massacre House: A charitable institution caring for threatening ugly men with guns and unstable personalities." In a later interview, however, co-creator Moore expressed discomfort with how the series exploits violence for comic effect, claiming that it has no “lasting or redeeming social value”. [10] [2] Bibliography [ edit ]

I Take Offense to That Last One: Before being sent off to Ghoyogia, D.R. isn't phased by his platoon-mates' fears about the planet ("Ghoyogia, where the saliva-trees digest you alive," "Ghoyogia, where even the terrible diseases have terrible diseases") until he learns that there aren't any expensive foreign restaurants there. He then describes this incident as his "first exposure to the total insanity that is war."In any event, as a long term reader of 2000AD comic (I started with issue 1 in 1977) one of my early introductions to Moore's work was this lesser known series of somewhat madcap and subversive humour. I loved it. Chessmaster: All of the revenge schemes Waldo comes up with would count. "D.R. & Quinch Go Straight" could be interpreted as a small twist on this as D.R., continually claiming to be doing good will & charity work, explains some of the pieces of his plan coming together before the explosive climax as the results of honest mistakes on his own part (but they really aren't). Good Hair, Evil Hair: Waldo's pompadour would rightfully categorize him with the other delinquents and anti-heroes. Soon after, to Quinch's distress, DR fell in love with the new drama coach's daughter, Chrysoprasia, instantly becoming well mannered and straight laced to fit her illusion of him, even becoming the romantic co-lead with her in her father's new play, "The Bleating Heart." Unwilling to lose his best friend, Quinch kidnapped Chrysoprasia and subjected her to home movies of his and DR's past depravities, hoping to convince her to dump DR. Instead she went insane, deciding she was unworthy of the true DR and trying to remake herself in his image as Crazy Chryssie.

Time Twisters: D.R. and Quinch Have Fun On Earth" (written by Alan Moore, art by Alan Davis, in 2000AD #317, 1983) [1] Alan Moore looks like someone who might be hiding out in the vast forests of Gaul as Romans put less observant druids to the spear elsewhere and his other accomplishments might be an unspeakable appendage slapping conservative comic book readers in the face. In everything Moore has ever written there is satire and commentary on the state of this wretched Earth. The degree of subtlety varies from volume to volume and character to character. What works in a mainstream DC comic book might not work for a 2000AD audience, which in turn might not work for his Avatar Press readers. What is most important to remember about Alan Moore is that the notion that he is a genius is well-deserved. Remember that when you read the exploits of badboys Walter "D.R." Dobbs and Ernest Quinch. Exactly What It Says on the Tin: The title of every story. "D.R. & Quinch Get Drafted"? Guess what happens. "D.R. & Quinch Go to Hollywood"? Guess where they're headed.Sophisticated As Hell: Seeing how, Waldo Dobbs, has a a 280 I.Q., it doesn't come as much of a surprise that he says an occasional "sophisticated" word here and there mixed in with his more usual lexicon that's based around more Totally Radical words (i.e. Asking for The Judge's appellation, rather than his name). In what can best be described as " Rule of Funny meets For the Evulz," D.R. & Quinch tells the totally amazing story of one Waldo "D.R." Dobbs (the "D.R." stands for "Diminished Responsibility"), a skinny, lanky, teenage delinquent who boasts a genius IQ, enjoys acts of extreme violence and destruction, and looks like a cross between a gremlin and a skrull with a pompadour, and Dobbs' best friend Ernest Erroll Quinch, a large, purple-skinned brute who is much, much quieter than Dobbs as he prefers writing to talking. Together, these two deeply sociopathic, evilly affable, omnicidal maniacs do as they please, and what pleases them usually involves death and destruction on a tremendous scale; it helps that, in their part of the Milky Way, nuclear warheads are as easily obtainable as a handgun in the Deep South. No Celebrities Were Harmed: Subverted for as far as legal rights can go. The story "D.R. & Quinch Go to Hollywood" consists of several alien characters who look like caricatures of various Hollywood legends; the main one, based on Marlon Brando, is always called "Marlon." The eventual, easily foreseeable, violent climax at Massacre House becomes known as "The Massacre House Massacre" in the media.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop