Powers of Horror: An Essay on Abjection (European Perspectives) (European Perspectives Series)

£14
FREE Shipping

Powers of Horror: An Essay on Abjection (European Perspectives) (European Perspectives Series)

RRP: £28.00
Price: £14
£14 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

After reading some of the reviews here I was a little worried that I was not going to like this "essay". Julia Kristeva’s Powers of Horror, which theorizes the notion of the ‘abject’ in a series of blisteringly insightful analyses, is as relevant, as necessary, and as courageous today as it seemed in 1984. There is a psychological mechanism that isn’t very well known yet is involved behind the scenes in many emotions. This is probably only going to really resonate with people with some familiarity with Lacan and psychoanalytic theory. do not exist or only barely so—double, fuzzy, heterogeneous, animal, metamorphosed, altered, abject".

It also helped me to realize how much horror fiction has pulled from ancient and religious sources of abjection. It’s interesting to consider how many bodies without souls emerge within the horror and gothic genres: vampires, zombies, robots, etc. Nor is it an ob-ject that has been consciously, desiringly, or fantasizedly built or elaborated as an ob-ject. Or: diners becoming ill when they learn their soup had a cross dipped in it, or local disgust prompting a hotel owner to burn a bed after learning Ghandi had used it.

We don’t share your credit card details with third-party sellers, and we don’t sell your information to others. She closes her essay by noting that the usefulness of studying the abject can be found in its immense political and religious influence over the centuries.

She concludes her essay by revealing the importance of the abject in its ties to politics and religion; the most powerful - yet inhumane and oppressive - institutions built on the notion that we must be protected from the abject. Kristeva answers the above question with no banal bothering with a topic so small as germs and instead posits that the poop's threat comes from the ego being "threatened by the non-ego, society threatened by its outside," while blood "stands for the danger issuing from within the identity (social or sexual); it threatens the relationship between the sexes withing the social aggregate and, through internalization, the identity of each sex in the face of sexual difference. In the presence of signified death—a flat encephalograph, for instance—I would understand, react, or accept. The only real downside to this book is that reading it requires you to translate every damn thing from Freud to Makes-Sense. Take the usual sense of the gross, the repulsive, the degraded in the abject, haul along the Latin roots for "throw away" (or "make distant" or "define as other than yourself") and name yourself--the thrower--"the subject" and we're well on our way to getting at this book's premise.Where the integrity of that slash (/) in the self /other mental construction is threatened by representations which collapse or disrupt the sign/referent template underpinning it. Kristeva, like most of the French theorists of her era, is somewhat hit or miss: at times, as in her analysis of Proust or her work on the early novel, she's amazing. From the basic introduction, she delves into a more rigorous definition through different aspects of her subject matter, which in parts became far too complex and challenging for the likes of me. An essential read for those interested in exploring the darker and more unsettling aspects of the human condition.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop