The Algorithm Design Manual (Texts in Computer Science)

£9.9
FREE Shipping

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Do not rush this part of the process. The book is pretty dry, but it’s thorough and will teach you what you need to know. The problems at the end of the chapters increase in difficulty and will help you learn how to start getting creative with the different data structures and algorithms. Use at your own risk. The author, Springer, and the State University of New York make no representations, express or implied, with respect to any software or documentation we describe. The authors, Springer, and the State University of New York shall in no event be liable for any indirect, incidental, or consequential damages. I love the exercises presented in this book, they are well crafted problems, very helpful in reinforcing the learning process. Data Structures: Repeatedly extracts the smallest remaining element from the unsorted part of the set but will take a total of O(n For someone who's never taken CS101, this book an eye-opener into the hows and whys of basic data structures like linked lists, trees, hash tables, and arrays, as well as sorting techniques and more advanced practices like dynamic programming. Clear explainers are interspersed with practical war stories, where Skiena explains how he applied the technique just discussed to solve a previously intractable problem.

The remainder of his advice is also invaluable. Here are a couple of other very valuable resources: When the chapters switch to real world examples, you can move on to other resources. This section is titled The Hitchhiker's Guide to Algorithms. This part of the book is incredibly interesting, but not the best use of time when preparing for programming interviews. Steven Skiena’s Algorithm Design Manual retains its title as the best and most comprehensive practical algorithm guide to help identify and solve problems. … Every programmer should read this book, and anyone working in the field should keep it close to hand. … This is the best investment … a programmer or aspiring programmer can make."It is wonderful to open to a random spot and discover an interesting algorithm. This is the only textbook I felt compelled to bring with me out of my student days.... The color really adds a lot of energy to the new edition of the book!" (Cory Bart, University of Delaware) I would give this book 4 1/2 stars; it has a fair share of typos, and sometimes problems are duplicated in different sections; this probably reflects how the book was updated. The book is rather lighter on proofs than, say Cormen/Leiserson/Rivest/etc., and so one should probably have a more rigorous book at hand to fill in some details when necessary. The choice of topics and the style reflect the author's extensive consulting experience, as well has his work on contest programming (he wrote another entire book dedicated to Programming Challenges). The fact that this book focuses on working source code in examples (as opposed to just pseudo-code) makes it extremely useful for drilling for programming interviews. The reader-friendly Algorithm Design Manual provides straightforward access to combinatorial algorithms technology, stressing design over analysis. The first part, Techniques, provides accessible instruction on methods for designing and analyzing computer algorithms. The second part, Resources, is intended for browsing and reference, and comprises the catalog of algorithmic resources, implementations and an extensive bibliography. This is a chapter you should read, and do a few problems for, but you don’t want to let this chapter kill your pacing.

Most books on algorithms take a very formal, math heavy approach in which they present, analyze and prove things about a somewhat arbitrary collection of algorithms. There's usually no mention of real world applications. The book teaches you how to extract the relevant information from a problem, how to transform a given problem into a well-researched problem, how to select the best data structure for the job and how to really improve algorithms. .. Tables: Supports retrieval by position, so that put and get each accept an index as an argument. Tables are naturally implemented using arrays. I also love that the example code is in C. Too many books give example code in languages with a lot of overhead, like Java, and end up obscuring the important parts with a ton of object-oriented crap. Yes - OOP is nice, but unless I'm reading a book on OOP, I don't want to dig through 30 lines of irrelevant boilerplate just to find the 10 lines relevant to the algorithm. These are older school programming interview questions and have been largely phased out. It’s better to spend time elsewhere.

This text strikes a perfect balance between too complex and too simple-- with hundreds of practical techniques that give a great overview of nearly every type of algorithm problem we encounter. This is NOT a "theory" text about big Oh (although it has a chapter), efficiency, p vs np and advanced calculus and linear algebra, but does show practical ways to design algorithms and answer questions in that interview. It is wonderful to open to a random spot and discover an interesting algorithm. This is the only textbook I felt compelled to bring with me out of my student days.... The color really adds a lot of energy to the new edition of the book!"

This newly expanded and updated second edition continues to take the "mystery" out of designing algorithms, and analyzing their efficacy and efficiency. Expanding on the first edition, the book now serves as the primary textbook of choice for algorithm design courses while maintaining its status as the premier practical reference guide to algorithms for programmers, researchers, and students. I've read through the first half of the book, and am now at the catalog of algorithms that makes up the second half, and I've really enjoyed the book so far. This newly expanded and updated second edition of the best-selling classic continues to take the "mystery" out of designing algorithms, and analyzing their efficacy and efficiency. Expanding on the first edition, the book now serves as the primary textbook of choice for algorithm design courses while maintaining its status as the premier practical reference guide to algorithms for programmers, researchers, and students. The reader-friendly Algorithm Design Manual provides straightforward access to combinatorial algorithms technology, stressing design over analysis. The first part, Techniques , provides accessible instruction on methods for designing and analyzing computer algorithms. The second part, Resources , is intended for browsing and reference, and comprises the catalog of algorithmic resources, implementations and an extensive bibliography.Search(D, k): Given a search key k, return a pointer to the element in dictionary D whose key value is k, if one exists. This newly expanded and updated third edition of the best-selling classic continues to take the "mystery" out of designing algorithms, and analyzing their efficiency. It serves as the primary textbook of choice for algorithm design courses and interview self-study, while maintaining its status as the premier practical reference guide to algorithms for programmers, researchers, and students. Many algorithms are presented with actual code (written in C)-- Provides comprehensive references to both survey articles and the primary literature Steven Skiena’s Algorithm Design Manual retains its title as the best and most comprehensive practical algorithm guide to help identify and solve problems. … Every programmer should read this book, and anyone working in the field should keep it close to hand. … This is the best investment … a programmer or aspiring programmer can make." (Harold Thimbleby, Times Higher Education)

Contains a unique catalog identifying the 75 algorithmic problems that arise most often in practice, leading the reader down the right path to solve them This book, however, takes a different approach, and serves as a guide book for using algorithms in the real world. There's a heavy emphasis on formulating problems in terms of existing, solved problems. If you can "map" your problem to one with a known solution, then you can use the proven, existing solution to solve your problem. To emphasize that point, roughly the entire second half of the book is a catalog of known problems and solutions, with references to software libraries, books and other sources of information.

Second Edition now available!

The reader-friendly Algorithm Design Manual provides straightforward access to combinatorial algorithms technology, stressing design over analysis. The first part, Practical Algorithm Design, provides accessible instruction on methods for designing and analyzing computer algorithms. The second part, the Hitchhiker's Guide to Algorithms, is intended for browsing and reference, and comprises the catalog of algorithmic resources, implementations, and an extensive bibliography. The second half of the book is collection of short essays on various kinds of problems and sketches of techniques to handle them. This is very useful for gaining a broad overview of what tools are available, though the coverage can be somewhat brief (e.g., I felt that some aspects of string algorithms were treated quite telegraphically, e.g., suffix trees, and also the Hungarian algorithm for assignments was barely mentioned). Also, there were not that many examples in the second half. It is really intended as a set of pointers to get you started on where to look up details for approaches to a particular problem, and in that respect succeeds quite well (and has a lot of up-to-date references).

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop