Triple Cross: (Alex Cross 30)

Triple Cross: (Alex Cross 30)

RRP: £8.99
Price: £4.495
£4.495 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

The narrative flips between the entirely separate cases that Cross and Stone are investigating, with occasional contributions from the Family Man and Tull’s researcher. Both cases are somewhat intriguing, although the blurb “a serial killer who’s murdering entire families—and who will next be coming for Cross” is quite misleading. Targeting of Cross’s own family has been done rather too many times already, but not this time. Quite some suspension of disbelief is required to accept that a professional like Bree Stone would make such a mess of a covert operation, and her cavalier attitude to involving a civilian in a potentially dangerous situation. The resolution of that case comes out of left field and leads right into a teaser for the next book. Triple Cross” opens with Alex Cross and his partner, John Sampson, working on a new case, hunting a serial killer called “The Family Man’ because he/she is quietly entering homes at night and murdering all of the family members – father, mother, and children – without any hesitation. The killer leaves no physical evidence nor clues as to his/her identity or motivation. Even Ned Mahoney, their FBI agent focal and resource is stymied by the killer’s ability to move unseen in the night. In a Bentley convertible behind a DC private school, Kay Willingham, a glamorous socialite, philanthropist, and the ex-wife of the vice president, is found in the arms of the school’s principal, Randall Christopher — both shot dead. The question of who was behind the double homicide, and why, plagues Cross's mind. He’d grown close to Kay when she was his patient; closer than he had with any of the others. But when he goes to Alabama looking for answers hidden in her past, he finds a world of corruption, lies, and secrets, firmly closed to outsiders. He also finds plenty of Kay’s enemies, but none who would want her dead. One of James Patterson’s cornerstone series has got to be Alex Cross. I have followed the adventures of DC’s great investigator for many years and can usually rely on something great. Patterson keeps things sharp in this piece and juggles numerous plot lines effectively, without getting too muddled. Fans of the series will likely enjoy this book and feel a sense of urgency, shelving the idea that Alex Cross ought to hang up the handcuffs for good.

The plot of Triple Cross has the right amount of suspense, mystery and action, but the ending—while entirely satisfactory—feels somewhat tame compared to the previous volume’s high-adrenaline clash set in the wilderness of Montana. In a welcome move, Patterson gives Bree a large share of the action that gets her close to death more than once, and I wish he keeps the trend going. It seems that Patterson has heeded the request of his fans, including me, to resolve the longstanding mystery of ‘M’, and Triple Cross has Alex getting close to the elusive, seemingly omniscient opponent. I’ve been reading James Patterson books for over twenty-five years. During that time, like most of his fans, my favorite character has always been Alex Cross. He was Patterson’s first detective series that helped lay the foundation for his kingdom of several bestselling series and stand-alone novels. For me, Alex has remained a fierce, intellectual knight of moral character and the proper use of action. Along with all of this action is yet another sub-plot, this one involving Alex Cross’s wife, Bree, herself a top investigator, on a special assignment in NYC with a case set amid the fashion industry. As a reader, I initially found this storyline to be a distraction from The Family Man case that was so terrifying. That was until James Patterson, in his infinite gift of superiour plotting, finds a way to tie the plots together in a crafty, clever manner.But Cross isn't the only one investigating - a charismatic true-crime author has spotted patterns in the case of 'The Family Man' killer that others have missed.

I have always been convinced that Alex Cross series is the best of James Patterson’s numerous creations—not the least because it is his own and not collaborated with anyone else—and Triple Cross, the thirtieth outing of the Psychologist crime-solver, reinforces my conviction yet again! It's no mystery why James Patterson is the world's most popular thriller writer ... Simply put: Nobody does it better. JEFFERY DEAVER It's up to Cross to determine whether the writer's theories are fact or fiction - before another family falls victim. There's a serial killer on the loose dubbed "The Family Man" by the media. Strange name for a killer... but that's because he/she in fact kills the whole family, young and old.

James Patterson

In TRIPLE CROSS, we see through the eyes of one of the most diabolical and evil killers Patterson has ever envisioned. The Family Man takes home invasions to a disturbing new level by murdering every member of the family with a point-blank gunshot to the forehead. He confesses early on that children are the hardest, yet that does not prevent him from following through with his brutal massacres. This is especially frightening considering that there does not seem to be any pattern or way to predict where he will strike next. Cross and his old buddy, John Sampson, are investigating. Triple Cross is the thirtieth book in the popular Alex Cross series by prolific American author, James Patterson. Investigative consultant to DC’s metro Police and to the FBI, Dr Alex Cross, and his good friend, Detective John Sampson are trying to solve a series of mass killings in which the perpetrator has been dubbed the Family Man. Over some months, three DC families (so far) have been efficiently executed without a single trace, nor any commonalities between them giving a clue to the killer.

The Cross family is probably my favorite book family; Damon, Jannie, Ali, and Nana Mama (her cooking makes me hungry every time). 4.5⭐ Inevitably, there are a few points where the reader needs to suspend disbelief, particularly where the lead couple’s cases intersect. And, probably due to having two cases running simultaneously, the final reveal of the Family Man’s identity and the motive behind the chilling murders was not as impactful as I had expected. However, Patterson makes up for the shortcomings by closing Triple Cross on a nail-biting note with the exciting possibility of a face-off between M and Alex in the oncoming episode. Simple language, short chapters, crisp dialogues and vivid descriptions make Triple Cross a rapid, riveting read, and it is not to be missed by the fans of this splendid series and any other reader looking for all-round entertainment.

To make their investigation even more challenging, is the arrival of Thomas Tull, the mega-bestselling nonfiction crime writer, who has come to Washington to perform his own research for purposes of writing a book on “The Family Man”. Tull has been part of previous murder investigations and even contributed to the capture of several serial killers that turned him into a famous personality with a large fanbase. His intent is to join Alex and John’s investigation and be on the inside, and if they refuse him, he will do his own thing and beat them at their own game. All I can say is that Triple Cross is excellent! The mystery keeps you guessing and while I had a few suspects in mind, I didn't get it right. Like, waaay off! No one gets this big without amazing natural storytelling talent - which is what Jim has, in spades. The Alex Cross series proves it. LEE CHILD It opens with readers seeing through the eyes of one of the most diabolical and evil killers James Patterson has ever envisioned --- The Family Man. He takes home invasion to a disturbing new level by murdering every member of the family --- the oldest to the youngest and even infirmed family members --- by a point blank shotgun to the forehead. The Family Man confesses early on that children are the hardest, yet that does not prevent him from still following through with his evil massacres. Detective Alex Cross is on the hunt of a killer who is targeting entire families around Washington, DC.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop