The Servant Queen and the King she serves Paperback – 2016

The Servant Queen and the King she serves Paperback – 2016

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

To the extent that Elizabeth was kind, servant-hearted, and consistent, she showed us the blessing it is to live under a good ruler.

I am always moved by those words in St John’s Gospel which we hear on Christmas Day – “He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not…” We have only to listen to the news to know the truth of that. But the Gospel goes on – “But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God”. Published by Bible Society UK (for whom the Queen is Patron), HOPE and the London Institute for Contemporary Christianity, the Queen has personally written the foreword. In it she says, “I am touched that Bible Society, HOPE and the London Institute for Contemporary Christianity have published this book to celebrate my 90th birthday. In my first Christmas broadcast in 1952, I asked the people of the Commonwealth and Empire to pray for me as I prepared to dedicate myself to their service at my Coronation. I have been – and remain – very grateful to you for your prayers and to God for his steadfast love. I have indeed seen his faithfulness.” In Cape Town all those years ago she prayed: ‘God help me to make good my vow, and God bless all of you who are willing to share in it.’ Access-restricted-item true Addeddate 2022-01-01 15:27:40 Associated-names Butcher, Catherine Boxid IA1886813 Camera USB PTP Class Camera Collection_set printdisabled External-identifierIn terms of her own role, the Queen was never under any kind of illusions about the extent of her own power. In 1956, she said:

Perhaps even more telling is how she testifies to Christ’s contribution to her own capacity to serve and his availability to others: But however smooth or eloquent, it’s unlikely any eulogy will sum her up better than the title of that book. Though she was herself a queen, Her Majesty always knew she had a sovereign and that he loved her, died for her, had forgiven her, and now called her to live a life of loving service in response. She may have been a queen, but she saw herself first and foremost as the subject of the King. “Billions of people follow Christ’s teaching and find in him the guiding light for their lives,” she once said. “I am one of them.”

Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary of York was born in Mayfair, London April 21, 1926. She was the first child of the future King George VI and Queen Elizabeth, later called the Queen Mother. Princess Elizabeth became heir-apparent after King Edward VIII abdicated and her father King George VI ascended to the throne. Our Christian faith helps us to sustain those convictions. Christ not only revealed to us the truth in his teachings. He lived by what he believed and gave us the strength to try to do the same – and, finally, on the cross, he showed the supreme example of physical and moral courage.’ (1990) The main dates for celebration are the Queen’s birthday itself, on 21 April, and her official birthday weekend, 10-12 June – these summer dates particularly hold great opportunities for street parties, neighbourhood and community group celebrations, or special church services; all events where the book could be given away easily. However, the book itself is not dated: it simply honours the Queen’s 90th year, so it can be shared throughout 2016. It is my prayer that on this Christmas day we might all find room in our lives for the message of the angels and for the love of God through Christ our Lord.’

As we’ve seen, the Queen’s understanding of her role is deeply shaped by the Jesus of the Bible. It’s not surprising, then, that her vision for the nation and her vision for her people find their roots in a biblical understanding of national purpose and civic service. In 2016 the Queen celebrated her 90th birthday, and across the country and the Commonwealth people celebrated with her. Yn 2010 wrth iddi siarad yn agoriad Synod Cyffredinol Eglwys Loegr, dywedodd: 'Nid pryder am ein lles a’n cysur ein hunain sydd wrth wraidd ein ffydd, ond yn hytrach y syniad o wasanaeth ac aberth a welir ym mywyd a dysgeidiaeth yr un a ddarostyngodd ei hun gan gymryd arno agwedd gwas.'

In this fresh analysis, Mark Greene, co-author of The Servant Queen and the King she Serves, looks in depth at what the Queen herself says about her faith. What emerges is a compelling picture of a global stateswoman whose private and public lives have been shaped by the Bible and her relationship with Jesus – whose life of sacrifice, service, and compassion is the inspiration and model for hers.

To be honest, she has often been more effective at communicating the timeless truths of the gospel to the nation than the many bishops and Archbishops she has seen come and go during her reign," he added.

BHT newsletter

It is a measure of the Commonwealth’s value that even when Pakistan left because the other members recognised Bangladesh, they felt the association was important enough to re-join some 17 years later. And in 2021, when Barbados became a republic rather than a constitutional monarchy under the Queen, it stayed a member of the Commonwealth. The proud island nation invited Prince Charles to make a speech on Elizabeth’s behalf, in which he reaffirmed Ac yna yn 2012, cyfeiriodd eto at Dduw yn anfon Iesu ‘i wasanaethu, nid i gael ei wasanaethu’: ‘Ail-blannwyd cariad a gwasanaeth yng nghanol ein bywyd ym mherson Iesu Grist.’ Dyfynnodd y garol brydferth, ‘Ganol gaeaf noethlwm’, sy’n diweddu ‘gyda chwestiwn i bob un ohonom sy’n gyfarwydd â stori’r Nadolig, fel y rhoddodd Duw ei hun i ni mewn gwasanaeth gostyngedig yn yr Iesu: “Beth a roddaf iddo, llwm a thlawd fy myd? Pe bawn fugail rhoddwn orau’r praidd i gyd; pe bawn un o’r doethion, gwnawn fy rhan ddi-goll.” A’r ateb a geir yn y garol, “ond pa beth a roddaf? Fy mywyd oll.”’ Again, we see a focus on actions, on the quality of community life, on the quality of the lived experience of every individual. Still, her vision for neighbour-love goes beyond taking the initiative to meet immediate needs. Indeed, in her 1980 Christmas message she set out a comprehensive vision for neighbour-love that embraced every sphere of society from business to education, from the armed forces to health services, from politics to the arts. We love our neighbour by offering our gifts and talents to them in selfless service. Importantly, she closed that section of the message with these words: Indeed, as the years have gone by, the Queen has focused more explicitly on how Christ offers hope. It is not just that he is the light of the world but that the light points to particular ways of living. In 1972, as the conflict in Northern Ireland continued to maim and kill, she spoke clearly about her own yearning and hope: ‘Christ taught love and charity and that we should show humanity and compassion at all times and in all situations.’ Throughout the dominions the Queen ruled, no one under the age of 70 has known another monarch. The nature of this world is ever-changing and often uncertain. But she was a fixed point. The Queen was always part of life—rarely front and centre in our consciousness, but always there. She connected us to our past. She’d endured the Blitz of London in the Second World War; her first prime minister had been Winston Churchill; her mother had been born in the Victorian age. Everything changes; but, in many ways, she did not. Until today.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop