Grown Ups: British Book Awards Author of the Year 2022

Grown Ups: British Book Awards Author of the Year 2022

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Similarly, although Keyes is primarily a writer of women, she's actually very good about the difficult bits of being a man, too. I really wanted to see more of Johnny struggling with being the dashing, casual raconteur everyone expects him to be. I wanted her to sculpt more of Ed falling in love with Cara because she made him feel safe. If she'd limited herself to just one or two storylines, my word, what a book this might have been. This has the ingredients of the best of Keyes: great characters, laughs and poignancy. Keyes brilliantly captures that feeling of never quite being a grown-up, no matter your age * Good Housekeeping * Love how she is showing us a fragging lot of emotions that MCs entertain. And she does that all the time. (+1 star) Funny and moving, with an acute eye for family foibles Ian Rankin, bestselling author of the John Rebus thrillers Keyes at her best: capturing everyday voices with humour and empathy with writing that you'll devour in a weekend. Just pure and simple joy. Stylist

Grown Ups By Marian Keyes |The Works Grown Ups By Marian Keyes |The Works

Magnificently messy lives, brilliantly untangled. Funny, tender and completely absorbing! * Graham Norton * A sharp satire of family dynamics and the trappings of wealth. It is a delicious thing - light and dark at once, full of acid observations and warmth, and fully attuned to the absurdities of familial life * The Gentleman's Journal *

It is charming, funny and poignant. But also profound, heartbreaking. If you already love Marian, this is her best yet. If you haven't read her, this is the one Nina Stibbe Marian Keyes nails the zeitgeist while handling a huge cast of characters with aplomb * Express and Star * The women here are loudly feminist, telling their men they will take care of them, not just emotionally, thank you very much, but financially, too. Jessie hires a male nanny: “It’ll be good for the girls to see a man in a servile position.”

Grown Ups By Marian Keyes | Used | 9780718179748 - Wob Grown Ups By Marian Keyes | Used | 9780718179748 - Wob

Laughter and tears intertwine, as ever, in the latest from our leading chronicler of the emotional messiness of contemporary life Guardian Told in multiple points of view Keyes knows how to bring out her characters flaws and insecurities, laying them bare but in turn making then more likeable and relatable. DISCLOSURE: Thank you to Penguin Random House, Doubleday Canada for providing a digital ARC of Grown Ups by Marian Keyes for review. All opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own personal opinions. Oxfam,’ ... ‘Probably an ex-hospital gown. If this dress could talk, well, the haemorrhoid operations we’d be hearing about.’... I know it’s a pain, me and my principles. Seriously, I get on my own nerves, but I’m not doing it to be sneery. (c)A new book from the witty Irish novelist. When Cara Casey suffers concussion, she starts spilling the secrets of her glamorous, talented family. All is not as it seems * The Times, Ones to watch in 2020 * Funny and moving, with an acute eye for family foibles * Ian Rankin, bestselling author of the John Rebus thrillers *

Grown Ups by Marian Keyes review – comic, convincing and true

Johnny’s wife, savvy businesswoman Jessie has heaps of money and she loves to splurge and have all the families get together on luxury holidays and weekends away. She always insists when costs are out of reach to fund them. Jessie was a single child and loves being surrounded by family. Special thanks to NetGalley and Penguen Random House Canada/Doubleday Canada for sharing one of my favorite author’s ARC with me in exchange my honest review. The latest novel from the beloved Irish author, Grown Ups delves into the Casey family whose secrets start to spill after one member gets concussed Evening Standard, Books to look forward to in 2020

Books Multibuys

Marian Keyes's gift for storytelling is utterly magnificent. I feel like I've met every single character in this book. I may even be a character in this book. Nobody nails chaotic families like Marian Liz Nugent The story centred on three families, brothers, wives and children. The brothers weren’t particularly close but the other people around them included some particularly strong personalities in Jessica, Ferdia, Nell and Liam. The character I probably liked the most was Nell but like is too strong a word, the rest of them I disliked or felt ambivalent about. I didn’t make connections with the characters as I had hoped at all.

Grown Ups by Marian Keyes | Waterstones

Similarly: Perla. Direct Provision is scandalous! Period poverty, ditto! Using a character who was a Syrian doctor before her husband got beheaded in front of her and she became an international refugee as a bait-and-switch in a particularly silly romantic plotline is ... I mean, it's poor taste, at the least. She eventually becomes an activist in her own right, but we don't hear her speech at a rally, we hear Ferdia's. Just so Nell can get a lady-boner about his Good Person credentials. Although they talk a big game about avoiding performative feminism, this is exactly what that is. There's also too many locations. Way, way too many. And the inciting event, depicted in the blurb, isn't. A small criticism but a valid one; there was only one major 'revelation' at the dinner party, which was well on its way to being revealed by the perpetrators themselves. EXCERPT: When Rory died, Jessie's one consolation was that she'd never again have to live through something as bad. Her Dad's passing was painful. Her mother's was worse. The wound of having been cut out of the Kinsella inner circle had taken a while to heal. Giving up on having a sixth child had, for a patch, been oddly unbearable. But nothing had ever come close to the visceral punch of Rory ceasing to exist. Cripes, no wonder Ed felt like Mr Unimportant, sandwiched between a charm monster and a sex god. (c) I have already recommended this book to a few people and I am sure that they will not be disappointed.She really is unparalleled when it comes to making serious points with the lightest of touches The Pool

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop