Desperation in Death: An Eve Dallas thriller (In Death 55)

£10
FREE Shipping

RRP: £20.00
Price: £10
£10 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

OMGoodness! This 55th addition to the series is just as fresh, thrilling, engrossing, and suspenseful as the first one. The characters are some of the most intriguing and interesting I’ve ever read and they grow personally and professionally with each new book. You also couldn’t ask for a better cast of supporting characters – from the hard-hitting reporter, Nadine Frist, to the ebullient singer, Mavis Freestone, to the cops in Eve’s squad at Cop Central, they are all outstanding. I really enjoyed this story because all of those supporting characters – and more – played key parts in solving the mystery and taking the bad guys down. I have read every book in the series – some of them several times – and there isn’t a clinker in the bunch!

All About The In Death Series The In Death series is written by author JD Robb (a pseudonym for New York Times Bestselling author Nora Roberts). The series started in 1995 with Naked In Death with book one that introduced us to Lieutenant Eve Dallas and Roarke. The books are romantic suspense novels but with heavy aspects of a mystery crime thriller. A difficult story delivered with compassion, DESPERATION IN DEATH is fast-paced and suspenseful. Readers will want to cheer on Eve and her team as they race to bring down the criminal conspiracy behind the Pleasure Academy."Eve's case involves a young woman, whose body was found lying on a bench in a playground, carefully dressed in vintage clothing from fifty years earlier with a note in a child's writing saying 'Bad Mommy'. Two other young women of similar appearance to the victim are also missing, snatched off the street in a similar way to the victim and Eve is concerned that the killer may kill again if she can't find him first. The writing in this one was weird for me. I felt like I was reading a Nora Roberts standalone and not a J.D. Robb book. It felt a bit surreal at times. We have this one playing with different narrative styles. We have a "Before" time following a young woman who we don't know who she is, but that she seems to be important to the case. Also as I said above, Robb follows one of the kidnapped victims in this one. In fact, we get some of the kidnap victims perspective in this one. I don't think that has been done ever in this series. If we do follow the victims, it just seems to be right before they were murdered. We get a sense of them and that's it. This one we delved in deep. We also get to read a letter and it just once again didn't feel like a Robb book, but a Nora Roberts romantic suspense novel. I don't know yet if this is good or bad, but I saw some readers were having trouble with this so I thought I just bring it up. I also bring it up because I noticed it and it kept throwing my reading. Unfortunately, they didn��t get away fast enough. Now Dorian is injured, terrified, and wandering the streets of New York, and Mina lies dead near the waterfront while Lt. Eve Dallas looks over the scene.

I have read thousands of books in my lifetime and for the life of me I could not come close to finding a similar plot line. A plot that took some time to unfold for Eve. Her skills of deduction, along with occasional help from her billionaire hunk husband Roarke, proved invaluable when it came to desperately try to find the other two missing women. All in all the Desperation is an excellent and a fast paced story. I’m doing my best to pace myself on the read so I can enjoy it longer. As soon as I finish, I know February will seem a long way off! Thanks to Nora for the enjoyment. If you enjoy engaging near-future police procedurals with some romance and humor, then I recommend this series. This is the fifty-third book in the In Death Eve Dallas series and I have read all of them up to this point. Overall, it is entertaining, and over time, it is like spending time with old friends. I can’t wait to read the next book in the series. Intense! Desperation in Death is not the easiest read. There are many triggers, so readers beware. (My tags should show what many of the triggers are, but this novel in particular will have many triggers.) From the beginning, things just don’t add up for Eve. This child had to have been well cared for, but she’s been missing for several months. Her hair is perfectly styled with expensive products – even her nails are perfectly manicured. But then, there is the sexy undergarments. Why would this young girl be wearing expensive silk underthings? When Eve identifies the girl as Mina Rose Cabot, a child missing from Devon, Pennsylvania – a child who was much loved – Eve knows she isn’t just looking for a murderer – she’s looking for a child abductor. There is a second set of bloodstains on Mina, and they belong to Dorian Gregg, a runaway from Freehold, New Jersey. Is Dorian lying dead somewhere and just hasn’t been found yet? Is she injured? Was she recaptured? Or, is she the one who took Mina’s life?Eve's salvation came in large part by way of her now husband, the Irish hunky and filthy rich Roarke (who, happily, gets to put his considerable expertise to good use in helping to solve the case). It begins with a woman's body that's laid out on a bench at a New York City playground. Clearly, she was murdered - but just as clearly, the killer arranged her body with great care. She sported a new tattoo and body piercings, but the clothing didn't quite fit and looked to be vintage. The real puzzlement, though, was the note left on the body: Bad Mommy. While all Dallas’ department worked to find the evidence they needed, she and Roarke worked at home and on the job. Peabody kept up with her boss and the two worked well. But time was of the essence, and they wanted to win the race. But would they? Could they? Someone who was around sixty years of age and leaving notes of ‘Bad Mommy’ on his victims created a bad vibe in Dallas… There may have been others but sometimes in the audio the detail slips by. I don’t mention Sebastian since he made his appearance in an earlier book.

Side characters will be rotated in. Her bestie who hasn't been her bestie in years, the reporter, the former LCC and wife we haven't seen in a while until now, Trina, etc. Abandoned in Death is the 54th in the In Death series by J.D. Robb and another brilliant, hugely entertaining episode in this series which I hope never ends! I don’t know how the author does it, but each episode is fresh and new. Catching up with the characters each time is like catching up with family. I highly recommend this series, but my advice is – start at the beginning 😊 What could that pertain to? Well, between Eve and her team, as well as resident Dr. Mira, Eve begins to unravel events that took place decades previously. Actually. as the book opens there is a very sad case of a mother who was prepared to give up on life and this including taking her young son with her. What happened in that case, to the woman, to the child, and what does that have to do with the current case? Mavis, Leonardo, Bella, Charles, Louise, Nadine, etc. all appear in this one. I think it's a first in a long time that these characters were all in the same book together.The #1 New York Times bestselling author presents a gripping new thriller that pits homicide detective Eve Dallas against a conspiracy of exploitation and evil…

The flow was a bit up and down because of the narrative style. I honest don't know if this works for 'In Death" or not. We usually just follow Eve in the third person and of course Roarke sometimes, but mostly we are just with Eve. This one had so many players in it that I can see why some people complained there was too much padding. I am waiting to see how the next book plays out. Because if Robb does keep this style up, it's a change from her prior books. I found that book was well written, but perhaps not her most exciting. I took two long days to read it (both times), when usually I would not be able to put it down. The usual interactions between the characters were missing. No insults with Sommerset, no twitching eyelid when Peabody teased Eve about her sex life with McNab. Everything seemed smooth, no bumps with the regular characters. There were a few sightings and hints of new -- and what appear to be fun and interesting characters joining the good guy pool. And the possibilities are strong that it won’t be long before readers see more of them, when . . . Desperation In Death, Book No. 55 arrives in September. Yippee – that’s positively without a doubt defined as “the good stuff.” Reading the newest J.D. Robb book always feels like a chance to catch up with dear friends, while said friends are trying to save the world. And I don’t know that I’ll ever tire of that. Desperation in Death is the 55th full-length installment in the In Death series, and I’m still just as attached to Eve and Roarke and Peabody and the rest as I could ever hope to be. I absolutely love seeing how they’ve grown and changed over the years. While this particular installment dealt with some incredibly difficult and heartbreaking topics, and was very hard to read in some places, it was handled with care and was well worth reading.

An Eve Dallas Novel

Honestly, I’m not a huge fan of this concept, so this book isn’t my favorite of the series. However, I do think that Robb did a good job of bringing Eve’s past and her experiences into it as well. Of course, the story is written well and in an interesting way where we know who the bad guys are, but we don’t know everything about them. As the story unfolds, more truths are revealed. Oh, and Dallas usually has to catch a runaway criminal in the cop central. I think this is the first book hat hasn't happened with in a while. I could be wrong.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop