The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle: Haruki Murakami

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle: Haruki Murakami

RRP: £10.99
Price: £5.495
£5.495 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Maybe he was in debt. It was like they ran away-just cleared out one night. About a year ago, I think. Left the place to rot and breed cats. My mother's always complaining." At home, I took in the wash and made preparations for a simple dinner. The phone rang twelve times at five-thirty, but I didn't answer it. Even after the ringing stopped, the sound of the bell lingered in the indoor evening gloom like I went to the kitchen and cooked: fish sautéed in butter, salad, and miso soup. Kumiko sat at the kitchen table and vegged out. Nearly 20 years after the first translation Ursula Gräfe translated the book from the Japanese original, including also the missing chapters. 'Die Chroniken des Aufziehvogels'.

I think this is my third reading of Haruki Murakami's The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and I am still loving it! However, I can't say that I fully understand it, but that is the nature of a Murakami novel and I accept that. Earlier review below. Also, this is a REALLY weird book. I have read Gravity's Rainbow, Ulysses, Slaughterhouse Five, The Bald Soprano, Naked Lunch and The Third Policeman, but somehow The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is the most bizarre, inexplicable piece of literature I have ever come across. At one point I considered giving up on decyphering the plot and just enjoy watching the strange parade of freaks and monsters in the novel. But, instead of making Wind-Up Bird fascinating, the weird characters and situations come across as ham-fisted, almost desperate additons to the book, as the weirdness is employed primarily as deus ex machina. Whenever the protagonist didn't know what to do next (which happened constantly) a psychic would suddenly and inexplicably appear to tell him the next step, and whenever the action began to slow down, the author would include a surreal dream or grotesque murder. This isn't a weird book that has fun upsetting conventions and flirting with the bizarre; this is a book that employs weirdness to compensate for the author's inability to keep control of his own novel.Uh-huh." I wanted to motion toward our house, but I had turned so many odd angles to get here that I no longer knew exactly where it was. I ended up pointing at random. To you, of course. Ten minutes, please. That's all we need to understand each other." Her voice was low and soft but otherwise nondescript. I leaned against the chest-high chain-link fence for a while, contemplating the garden. It should have been a paradise for cats, but there was no sign of cats here now. Perched on the roof's TV antenna, a single pigeon lent its monotonous Like so many of Murakami's previous stories, ``Wind-Up Bird'' is part detective story, part Bildungsroman, part fairy tale, part science-fiction-meets-Lewis Carroll. Like ``A Wild Sheep Chase'' and ``Dance Dance Dance,''

She smiled now for the first time, which made her look a lot more childlike than she had seemed at first. She couldn't have been more than fifteen or sixteen. With its slight curl, her upper lip pointed up at a strange angle. I seemed In this, Murakami clearly succeeds, but for readers it's a Pyrrhic victory: for most of us, art is supposed to do something more than simply mirror the confusions of the world. Worse, ``Wind-Up Bird'' often seems so messy that its refusalAnother integral part of Murakami’s worlds is sex, with plenty on offer in The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle (which may dismay some readers), yet there’s always a sense that the physical act only scratches the surface of true intimacy. Kumiko admits that there’s always been a part of her that is inaccessible to Toru, and in a similar manner, in Creta Kano’s stories of her time as a prostitute, she outlines her ability to separate her ‘true’ self from her physical form in the real world. Then there’s the concept of sex of the mind, in dreams, and in Murakami’s world, this psycho-sex can be every bit as real (and often more so) than the ‘normal’ kind. I wish I had a scalpel. I'd cut it open and look inside. Not the corpse . . . the lump of death. I'm sure there must be something like that. Something round and squishy, like a softball, with a hard little core of dead nerves. cat. Instead, what I imagined was a failed portrait, a strange, distorted picture, certain distinguishing features bearing some resemblance to the original but the most important parts missing. I couldn't even recall how the cat looked Anyhow, what you were saying before, that you wouldn't mind marrying a girl with six fingers but not four breasts . . ." Many regard The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle as Murakami's masterpiece, and it appeared in The Telegraph's 2014 list of the 10 all-time greatest Asian novels. [15] Adaptation [ edit ]

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop