The Primrose Railway Children: Jacqueline Wilson

The Primrose Railway Children: Jacqueline Wilson

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

We see the devastation and unsettling caused by their father disappearing from family life, and a withdrawal from all that is familiar. I loved the way she dealt with magic in her books, especially in Five Children and It. When it became a fashion for modern authors to reimagine the classics I was happy to jump on this colourful bandwagon. I hoped to encourage children to discover the joys of E Nesbit for themselves but I didn’t want to write a pastiche of her work. The Primrose Railway Children is the latest novel by Jacqueline Wilson. It is inspired by the classic children’s story by E Nesbitt. Writing books based on classics is something Jacqueline Wilson has done before – her book, Katy, inspired by What Katy Did, is absolutely brilliant. Puffin started out as a non-fiction publisher, with its first title appearing in 1940. As the most iconic and well-known children’s book brand in the UK today, we are always on the lookout for innovative ways to tell the world’s favourite stories and for brilliant new debut talent and brands that connect with today’s young readers, from newborn up to twelve years old.

Phoebe, whose only distraction is a guinea pig, struggles to feel at home and misses her father terribly, worrying about where he is and what terrible secrets her mother is hiding. With dad mysteriously gone, the void this leaves can be sorely felt through the family, but none more so than Phoebe. The intensity of the bond between her and her dad can be keenly felt. There's the whole worry that he may be dead, but they don't really know if he is dead or alive and readers see the children process this between their humour and their seriousness in conversations and behaviours. Mother has to whisk the children away to a tiny cottage in the country and is incredibly splendid, never once breaking down and showing her real feelings. The children all think she’s absolutely splendid. Illustration from The Primrose Railway Children by Jacqueline Wilson (Image: Rachael Dean) The children’s mother takes on the role of both mother and father. We see the stress and strain on her.Jacqueline Wilson wrote her first novel when she was nine years old, and she has been writing ever since. She is now one of Britain's bestselling and most beloved children's authors. She has written over 100 books and is the creator of characters such as Tracy Beaker and Hetty Feather. More than forty million copies of her books have been sold. Dame Jacqueline said one of the aspects she wanted to explore was how modern city children cope with a sudden move to the countryside. I loved the setting and the use of the railway, but most of all I loved the characters and writing. How Jacqueline Wilson can have been writing for so many years, yet still able to stay current with the new generation of children too is great. There is just something about her writing that absorbs me into the story, emotions and setting. Even as an adult you can still enjoy her writing. The disappearance of the father has financial repercussions. The children and their mother are obliged to move to a dilapidated cottage in the English countryside. The cottage stands very near to the Primrose Railway line, a heritage railway staffed by volunteers. The children become heavily involved in the community centred on the railway. In this community they find solace to comfort them for their absent father.

I was thrilled to win first prize for my efforts, a wonderful big painting box. (I went in for several story-writing competitions as a child too, but only ever got as far as a Highly Commended.) I saw Lionel Jeffries’s 1970 film version, with Jenny Agutter perfectly cast as Bobbie. The memorable scene at the end when she sees her father emerging from the steam of the train and hurtles towards him, crying "Daddy, oh my Daddy!" always makes me weep. Agutter has certainly made the part her own. She played Bobbie’s Mother in the ITV adaptation in 2000 and is to appear as a grown-up Bobbie in a new film The Railway Children Return. Struggling to feel at home and missing her Dad terribly, Phoebe's only distraction is her guinea pig Daisy. Until the family discover the thrilling steam trains at the railway station and suddenly, every day is filled with adventure. The location of the cottage is fairytale-esque and so magical. I hope that the original setting in “The Railway Children” is just as good as this one. I was torn between waiting to read this book and reading the original first, but I’m assuming that E. Nesbit’s is better for many reasons. I am annoyed however that I know why the dad was missing, which is a major plot twist in this book. I guess I’ll just have to wait and see if the original has the exact same storyline or not. Kitty Fisher is a street performer who earns tin for her supper by tumbling. She has always lived on the street and on her wits, with only the kind Gaffer to help her. But now Gaffer is gone, and Kitty is all alone. Cage sold at Pets at Home fall below the RSPCA welfare standards and cages that fit on a cabinet would be extremely cruel.

Keep in touch

I've always loved E Nesbit's wonderful classic The Railway Children, but I've also felt she wasn't quite fair to the youngest child Phyllis,” she said. “All she can say about her is that 'she meant extremely well'. I've re-imagined the story from the youngest child's point of view.” Phoebe was a wonderful protagonist, imaginative, creative and with a real dramatic flair. But she was also kind and loving and was an exemplary guiniepig owner! It’s a wonderful, timeless book, a true classic, a heart-warming story with a wonderfully happy ending – and yet it wasn’t as realistic as I’d remembered. It’s more a fairy tale than a reflection of real life. Father is sent to prison – but we all know that he’s a gentleman, so it all must be a dastardly mistake. I am a huge fan of the 1970 film but have never warmed to the original book. However The Primrose Railway Children captured my attention and my heart from the start. It follows similar but slightly different storylines to the original and is absolutely charming. Double Act won the prestigious Smarties Medal and the Children’s Book Award as well as being highly commended for the Carnegie Medal. The Story of Tracy Beaker won the 2002 Blue Peter People’s Choice Award.

But Phoebe still can’t help wondering what her Mum is hiding – and when she will see her Dad again… Then I suddenly thought of a vintage steam railway – and everything slotted into place. There’s even the magical vintage Bluebell Railway not too far away from where I live, so I could do some very jolly research. I don’t think I’ve ever enjoyed writing a book as much as The Primrose Railway Children. Illustration from The Primrose Railway Children by Jacqueline Wilson (Image: Rachael Dean) This is overall a book many children will find engrossing and is relatable, and also as respectfully done as it possibly could be as she also puts her own slant on the family she creates and their different characterisations and the reasoning for their dad to be away and all ends in quite a twist. Guinea pigs should not live outside all year round and should be supervised when in an outside run. Then there’s the Old Gentleman the children wave to on the train. It’s as if he’s a genial version of the Psammead, able to grant wishes. He bobs up whenever there is a problem in the plot. Mother is very ill – so the Old Gentleman provides a huge hamper of delicacies. The Old Gentleman finds a lost Russian Exile’s family. The Old ­Gentleman turns out to be the grandfather of the very schoolboy whom Mother is nursing. The Old Gentleman even investigates Father’s case and manages to prove he’s totally innocent.The only problem was the one I’d had as a child entering the painting competition. I knew nothing about vintage steam trains! I was determined not to be deterred. I went to the splendid Bluebell Railway in Sussex and had several very enjoyable train rides, making feverish notes. One glance in an adult book for vintage railway enthusiasts made me realise I’d never be able to grasp all the finer details – even the most basic. I decided to follow the bare bones of E Nesbit’s story – but without any Old Gentleman. I tried to imagine a modern version where there are no magical solutions – and yet I wanted it to be heart-warming, with its own happy ending. I very much hope I’ve succeeded – but if not, it might still encourage more children to try E Nesbit’s original story.

She has written over 70 best-selling books, and several have even been adapted for TV – most famously The Story of Tracy Beaker. Her signing sessions attract huge crowds of fans and last for hours! Over 25 million copies of her books have now been sold in the UK alone. As well as winning many awards for her books, including the Children’s Book of the Year, Jacqueline is a former Children’s Laureate, and in 2008 she was appointed a Dame.As a Jacqueline story, you'll recognise several aspects. Phoebe, our point of view is one of the mousy heroines, as always excellent at art and making up stories, with a lovely father and a snappy, but very caring, mother. Naturally the fourteen year old sister is very into make up and being older than she is. I really enjoyed reading and trying to match people with their 'original' characters - I managed with most, but there are definitely a few new ones here! This story outlines a lot of struggles that children face whilst growing up, especially in the modern world and it showcased ways in which children adapt and learn to cope with difficult environments. It also highlights the importance of learning that your parents aren't perfect, a hard lesson to learn indeed. Four Kids and It stars Paula Patton, Matthew Goode and Russell Brand: ‘There is life after divorce. And it can be complicated’

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop