If Only They Could Talk

If Only They Could Talk

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Greatly enjoyed your table of contrasting the differences between the first James Herriot book and how it contrasts to the TV series. And it turns out this is something I’ve read before. Because All Creatures Great and Small, probably his best-known and best-loved book, was originally published in part as If Only They Could Talk. ( All Creatures Great and Small also included It Shouldn’t Happen to a Vet and Let Sleeping Vets Lie; these three books were on their own considered too short to be marketed as standalone books, and so were combined into a single volume). In the book, James Herriot has many strong characteristics which help him through his tough, and demanding, career. He has a vast knowledge of his practice, as well as his employer and friend, Siegfried Farnon. James Herriot has a great sense of humor, and is able to take embarrassment excellently. He also works well in strange or uncomfortable situations. James Herriot’s most endearing quality is his deep passion and concern for his patients. Designed to appeal to the booklover, the Macmillan Collector's Library is a series of beautiful gift editions of much loved classic titles. Macmillan Collector's Library are books to love and treasure.

If Only They Could Talk by James Herriot - Pan Macmillan

One of the more subtle differences, which didn’t really fit into the table, is in the nuances of character of some of the main protagonists. I would say that all the main characters feel slightly warmer in the books than they do on TV. James is warmer and funnier than he’s written on the TV series, and Tristan is more competent and mature. Some of the disasters that almost always happen to Tristan in the TV series happen to other people, including James, in the books. The friendship between James and Tristan is something that just seems to happen very naturally in the book – Herriot doesn’t “gush” about how great a friend Tristan is or anything like that (it’s not a sentimental book) but they do seem to spend quite a bit of time together and get on well. This was one of the aspects that I didn’t think worked all that well in the series – it often feels to me as if Tristan is trying too hard with James and that James is rather disapproving of him. Helen also seems a good deal nicer, partly due to the fact that there is no Richard Edmundson sub-plot in the part of the books that I have read so far, so it doesn’t come across as if she is stringing both James and Richard along. Example. A teacher asks what i am reading. '1984' i reply, a classic, well known work, and one of George Orwell's greatest pieces. Instead, i vaguely describe of how I've read all of Herriot's books, but long ago. Like, more than twenty years ago. I am happy to say that I loved this one all over again. Herriot had me laughing at least once a chapter. Sometimes, I laughed so much, I had to put my book down and wipe my eyes. I adore his humor, so dry and absurdity-based and British. My goodness, what writing. Heart-breaking and hilarious in equal measure, If Only They Could Talk is the first volume of classic memoirs which chronicle James Herriot's first years as country vet in the 1930's.Tristan has a more positive attitude to the pigs than in the series, being interested in their individual characters. When trying to catch the pigs, he lets out Siegfried’s mare. Lccn 73177098 Ocr_converted abbyy-to-hocr 1.1.20 Ocr_module_version 0.0.17 Old_pallet IA18105 Openlibrary_edition But about the book now. It's James Herriot (not his true name) telling about his life in the UK as a country vet in the 1930s. I remember watching in the 1980s some little tidbits of the British TV series 'All Creatures Great and Small', which is based on this book (and later ones as well). You really get a glimpse at the Author’s own life, humour & the beautiful dales that so many of us have come to love. 🌄

If Only They Could Talk by James Herriot | Waterstones If Only They Could Talk by James Herriot | Waterstones

In his books, Wight calls the town where he lives and works Darrowby, which he based largely on the towns of Thirsk and Sowerby. He also renamed Donald Sinclair and his brother Brian Sinclair as Siegfried and Tristan Farnon, respectively. Wight's books are only partially autobiographical. Many of the stories are only loosely based on real events or people, and thus can be considered primarily fiction. Observer After an evening among his tales, anyone with as much as a dog or a budgerigar will feel he should move to Darrowby at once. James Herriot is the pen name of James Alfred Wight, OBE, FRCVS also known as Alf Wight, an English veterinary surgeon and writer. Wight is best known for his semi-autobiographical stories, often referred to collectively as All Creatures Great and Small, a title used in some editions and in film and television adaptations. When the newly qualified vet, James Herriot, arrives in the small Yorkshire village of Darrowby, he has no idea of the new friends he will meet or adventures that lie ahead. Nezinu nevienu citu grāmatu, kur galvenais varonis lielāko daļu epizodēs ir iebāzis roku kādā lielā mājdzīvniekā. Nesavieb seju nepatīkamā grimmasē, galu galā tāda ir skarbā realitāte, ja esi nolēmis savu profesionālo ceļu brist lauku dubļos. Jā, jā, vetārsts ar mīļiem mājdzīvniekiem sterilā kabinetā, atrodas lielpilsētā. 1930.gadi jaunam vetārstam no universitātes sola dziļos laukos nozīmēja negulētas naktis, nogurdinoši attālumi un nebeidzami izsaukumi, pieņemot dzemdības govīm, zirgiem, aitām, kā arī ārstējot neskaitāmus mājlopus. Bet, ja vien visas rūpes aprobežotos ar dzīvniekiem. Izrādās, ka tikpat liela noņemšanās ir ar to saimniekiem. Skarbo lopkopju visgudrība un lielā mīlestība pret saviem četrkājainajiem draugiem bieži vien izrādās traucējoša un kurioza.

Siegfried remarks that he doesn’t understand why people keep pets (while surrounded by dogs). He has Tristan send ointment for Cranford’s boar and a faeces sample by post. Tristan mixes the parcels up. Siegfried and Herriot go to a Pub (kind of bar but smaller and not sophisticated), they talk about veterinarian experience and ways of working. When I was a child, I used to be fascinated by distant and remote places. I loved the idea of travelling to different lands. Islands, in particular, used to appeal to me. Easter Island, in the South Pacific, was one of the places I wanted to visit. It was almost too small to see in my atlas and it’s 1,300 miles from any other land. How did people get there originally? Where did they come from? What did they eat and drink on the long journey across the sea? They must have been exceptional people. And, when you see the statues that these people built on Easter Island, these people seem even more amazing. In the series, Siegfried tells James that the horse is “a colt”. The “colt” drags Siegfried across a field. Dalam bayangan saya, si James ini menceritakan kejadian lucu yang dialaminya dengan muka lempeng, soalnya bahasanya juga lempeng aja sih...cuma pembaca yang membayangkan situasinya yang ga bisa menahan tawa.

If Only They Could Talk: James Herriot 9781509824892: If Only They Could Talk: James Herriot

If only they could talk’ undoubtedly is at its pinnacle when it comes to the descriptions of the landscape in which the book is set and is among one of the best countryside books I have ever read. These wonderful tales with their morsels of emotions like elation, sorrow, and humiliation all flamboyantly honeyed with humor can delight both the general reader and lovers of animal stories. I didn’t realise how many differences there were between the books and the TV series, especially with Helen not appearing in the book at all. Interesting process on how the production team adapted the books into the TV series, especially regarding the inclusion of Helen early on in the series. Overall, Herriot's books are a testament tTo be honest, I was quite disappointed by this book. He talks way too much (in my opinion) about the weather, the ongoing discussions between his boss and his brother, their secretary and the animal owners instead of going into more details about treating the animals and the animals themselves, it's all quite superficial to me. I even struggled to finish this book. I thought I had read pretty much read all of James Herriot’s books, so stumbling across this one—and the name didn’t ring a bell—I was all excited about a ‘new’ Herriot. I didn’t even bother to read what it was about. When the first Polynesian settlers arrived at Rapa Nui (Easter Island), there were probably only a few dozen of them. The island lies 2,150 miles west of South America and 1,300 miles east of its nearest inhabited neighbour, Pitcairn. Nowadays 12 flights arrive every week from Chile, Peru and Tahiti, and in 2011 those planes delivered 50,000 tourists, ten times the island’s population. Just about every job on Easter Island depends on tourism. ‘Without it,’ says Mahina Lucero Teao, head of tourism, ‘everyone would be starving on Easter Island.’ And the tourists go there for only one thing: the moai.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop